General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Automatic gear shift gets stuck

Old 02-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Question Automatic gear shift gets stuck

We have a 2000 Honda Civic. Just recently the Automatic shift stick gets stuck. Usually, the problem starts when it is in Drive and we have to pull it hard to get it to go into park. However, sometimes it is stuck before putting it into Drive. But it only happens occassionally, not every time we drive it. We know all about turning the wheel etc.- this is another problem that has just started after having owned the honda for 10 years. About a year ago, a penny got dropped on the display area showing the gears P R N D1 D2. When I tried to pick it up, it slid under the thin layer where the stick slides. Eventually the lights showing the gears shorted out. And now it is just starting this getting stuck problem. I'm wondering if the problem could be that the penny is still stuck in there somewhere. Any ideas?

Last edited by Zita; 02-19-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The penny is almost surely causing a shift lock malfunction. Start by getting the penny out. This requires removal of the front console and the AT gear position indicator panel:

Name:  picture_4436.jpg
Views: 14610
Size:  79.1 KB

Old 02-20-2010, 05:44 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes take it apart and clean out the shifter area. You may need to replace the switch, it controls the lights as well as the system that locks you from shifting in and out of Park.

Also check that the brake lights work, they are tied to the interlock system. The brake light circuit is how the car knows you are pressing the brake so it will allow you to shift out of Park.

Note that if you're stuck in Park you might be able to bypass the system so you can drive by pushing a key (practically any key similar to a car key) into the slot near the shift lever. But if you have a penny, etc. stuck there it's goign to be jammed regardless.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:05 PM

I appreciate the quick responses and the diagrams. It was easy enough to take apart the front and rear consoles and to unscrew the "gear position indicator panel" but I wasn't sure how to disconnect the cable and I'm not as limber as I used to be and my eyesight is not all that great anymore either. I pulled up the gear position panel as far as I could and looked at it with a flashlight but didn't see the penny. And it was easy enough to put everything back together too. I did it all while my husband was taking a nap. But I think I'll let the experts handle it. Thank you for your responses.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:41 PM

UPDATE; I took my civic to the Honda service center. He found a quarter but not the penny. He said the cable was out of track or line or whatever (I'm wondering if I did that when I took a look but I didn't tell him that I took it apart). He also replaced the light bulb and checked every thing out. It cost me $103.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:20 PM

Does anyone know the number for the shift indicator lamp? Is it one i will be able to get at Kragen/Autozone/Napa or is this a Honda thing? I have it out and never have seen one like this, Im stuck at work until tomorrow morning, thanks in advance, Pete

Old 02-03-2012, 02:07 AM

i have had exactly the same thing - started last summer but seems to be no real consistency to when it happens - at the top of the hill was the worst place. cheers for the info gonna look into it