General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

B16 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 09:56 PM
Default B16 Swap

Yes, I did do a search, but I dont want to spend hours looking for a simple answer. I want a B16 engine to replace my D15. What all do I need for the swap, exactly. If I do this, I need all the parts at one time so I can get it done in a weekend. Im assuming I need the base components, the:

Engine (Which "B16"version is the VTech?)
Transmission, and the
P28 ECU? (the right one right?)

Do I need the reccomended water pump, oil pump, timing belt, accessory belts etc? What all is needed?

Again, I did search and got a bunch of random un answered posts.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:25 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: B16 Swap

Me and a mate have just done this swap from a d15 to b16.
Firstly is it the twin carb d15 and if it is honestly it's not worth it.
Secondly the best b16 is obviously the b16b(190bhp) out of the ek9,but these are pretty expensive so for cost the best b16 is the JDM b16a(170bhp) other than that the only option is a standard usdm b16(i don't know the power for the usdm,ukdm is 160bhp) also there is no mechanical difference between the a and the a2.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:54 AM

Ok, so I'll start looking around for a b16a. What else do I need for it? And was I right about the kind of ECU?I was just guessing.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:11 PM

bump

Old 05-25-2008, 09:01 AM
HCF Member

Yes you were correct about the ecu. Is there any particular reason why you are going for a swap to a b16 because if you are after swapping to any b series i'd say whats the point in swapping to a b16 why not swap to a b18? The b18 produce more power and more torque as standard and the proceedure would be the same.
For the record though you'll be needing EVERYTHING thats full wiring loom,linkages,rear brake upgrade to disks,fuel tank,all pumps and lines,new radiator basically if you think you may need it just buy it.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:18 PM

You have to upgrade the rear brakes for an engine swap??? And cant anything from a D series fit a B series? I just replaced the radiator and a few other things. I guess I can understand the fuel pump, but why the lines? I would think all of them would be the same.

(Obviously I have never done a swap before, im just trying to clear things up before I try)

Old 05-25-2008, 09:46 PM
HCF Member

engine, tranny, linkage, motor mounts, ECU, and i think you should be good. Are you taling B16a2? ECU is a P2T for that.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:21 AM
HCF Member

It's advisable to uprate from rear drums due to the power increase,because face it the drum brakes are crap. So unless your already running with disks on the rear yes a brake upgrade is advisable mainly so you don't kill yourself.
Also I think the a2 uses an ODB2 ECU which is harder to tune,i may be wrong though..

Old 05-26-2008, 01:22 PM

lol, I can understand the advise to upgrade the rear brakes, but I just questioned it for the engine swap. Where can I find a conversion for them? All I have seen are ones for over a grand.

Also, cant the OEM motor mounts be used to do the swap? I head it was a direct replacement. Or is that just another advisable thing? (either way, I will get some)

Which b16s use which ECUs? Then I can simply match them up, instead of ask later

Old 05-26-2008, 05:00 PM
HCF Member

For the disk swap we went to a breakers yard found an LSi (any civic with rear disks will do) and took all we needed from that,some went in the pocket,some over the fence,either way cheaper than a new conversion kit,lol.
The mounts i believe are the same along wi the transmission and lines (that was false info sorry),the radiator for the b series is bigger cos the engine has more moving parts thus creating more heat.
As for the ecu what do you want the P code or the ODB code?
I'd still advise going for a b18 though,except they don't give that great sound when vtec hits.
Also i'm just wondering which d15 you have,is it alreay injection or is it carb fed? Just working from an already injected engine is a bit easier.

Quick Reply: B16 Swap