General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

back country driving

Old 08-02-2006, 02:27 AM
Default back country driving

Anybody out there into setting their Civics up for open country driving? Where I live I think is rather unique, with hilly, winding, sometimes bumpy (but still well maintained) roads, tight corners, and open stretches with nothing but woods around you, no surprises except at night and early morning (deer). Did a run last week that really showed the car's attributes (and it's flaws). And this is very popular motorcycle country.

Once a year, Americade comes here, a convention of motorcycles where Honda reigns. Predominantly Gold Wings, (pretty much a highway car w/ 2 wheels) but Harley has a huge presence here as well.

They like isolated back roads. Just not at 100mph (that was not me).

Old 08-02-2006, 08:40 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: back country driving

I <3 spirited back road driving But to answer your first question, yes that is pretty much the angle I have taken with my Civic. I love a comfy, yet tight handling ride that I can whip through the twisties with. It's getting to the point right now where I really need to upgrade my seats, because the stockers are not holding my in place... In stead I get pinned to the door,

Old 08-02-2006, 04:44 PM

I also <3 twisties.

as soon as I see the < < < < < yellow arrows and a sign that says 25mph ahead, I know it's time to brake, downshift, and grip my wheel at 12 and 6 and show the road that that 25mph really should read 50 or 60 instead.

The only problem with those roads is that they're usually a lane in each direction and to really cut the curves right, you've got to draw your line into the lane of oncoming traffic. So you can never really go as quick as you'd like, being stuck at the outside edge of the turn the whole time.

My wife's family lives out in farm country and it's almost entirely that kind of driving. It's the only thing I look forward to about that trip!

Old 08-02-2006, 05:21 PM

In iowa, there are some counties that would pretty much all be considered back roads that are really fun to drive.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:48 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Forty04

I <3 spirited back road driving But to answer your first question, yes that is pretty much the angle I have taken with my Civic. I love a comfy, yet tight handling ride that I can whip through the twisties with. It's getting to the point right now where I really need to upgrade my seats, because the stockers are not holding my in place... In stead I get pinned to the door,
im with you forty, i love finding twisty roads and playing around with them,im ungrading my seats this winter for the spring..i do it in my work parking lot everynight i close, they have a twisty section you can have fun with, but up north, about a 45min drive from me there are MILES and miles of open twisty roads with NOTHING around, its cottage country so if you go on a week day in fall..theres no one around, i went up there one time and i passed proabably 3 cars driving for half a hour on 1 road

Old 08-02-2006, 11:23 PM

Man, you guys make me want to take a couple weeks of vacation and head out to the great Mid West.....

To tell you the truth, what you're talking about is why I drive. New England, Midwest, Smokey Mountains, Skyline Drive, Rock Mountian Way, Route 1 in California. It's what's makes motoring life worth living.

I have to say, though, my 2003 Civic 5mt Sedan is a TOTAL DOG. I call it the Metamucil of Cars--you'll go, but it won't be much fun. I'm disappointed--my 1982 Civic was such a hoot.

So, I'm stuck. Buy a Honda Civic Si or an Subaru WRX STi?

I'd like to do some rally driving.....

And take me home, country roads.

Old 08-03-2006, 03:48 PM
HCF Member

Two words "the dragon"

Anyone been there, i forget exactly where it is. i believe it is in tennessee. there are 117 curves in like 11 miles or somthin rediculous. i know it is popular for crotch rockets but maybe some of u would like it. if you are up to it

Old 08-03-2006, 03:59 PM

one word: autox . i love the twisties but i really hate gravel and dirt, loosing control on roads that can barely fit 2 cars on side by side with a river or small drop off next to the raod is not fun...but yeah thats pretty much what i've built my car for, turns. i kno its not the best setup for handling in the world but with my budget its pretty decent. next on the list: gripy wide tires

Old 08-03-2006, 07:14 PM

Track days can be fun. I'm not too far from Summit Point Motosports Park in W. Va., and they have a great 2 mile road course. Have not been on there with the Civic, but the MINI was a total hoot there!

I do get to wind the Civic out in W. Va. They've got some nice roads.

Old 08-04-2006, 12:52 AM
Recognized HCF Member

4000k hids wouldnt be a bad idea if you are mountain driving a lot

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: back country driving