General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Before you buy a Ebay resistor 'Chip' - Read this first

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 05:41 AM
Default Before you buy a Ebay resistor 'Chip' - Read this first

i wouldnt think anyone on here is this stupid to buy one but you never no some poeple dont no alot about engines

I'm sure lots of you have seen and maybe even brought one of these, but do you really know what it does?
Basically, you fit the resistor to your airflow sensor and all it does is trick the ECU into thinking there's a load of cold air coming into the engine, so the ECU compensates by injecting more fuel into the cylinders. Overfuelling causes borewash which will damage the bores and rings!
It's not a brilliant idea. The resistors can be brought from Maplins etc for just a few pence, and no, having them "graded to the correct level" won't make an difference, it will cause damage.
As for the "variable power" modual...same thing, only it's a variable resistor aka a potentiometer. There's an artical about these here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potentiometer
Give these items a wide birth unless you want a big bill at the end of it all. I'm sure this will make me one of the least popular people on Ebay, but I'd rather you here some truth about the subject and be given a second opinion. If you sell these, please think about what your actually selling. Would you drive round in one in your car if you fully knew what it did? Feel free to call me "unhelpful" if it helps you sleep at night
In truth there is no cheap and fast route to gaining more power from an engine. A modified intake and exhaust system may see 5-9bhp increase in most normally aspirated cars, but in truth for more power, you need more capacity or forced aspiration by turbo or super charging. Neither of these routes are cheap, and can have teething problems.
It's your choice, but if you care for your car, your engine, and your bank balance, look for other ways then these "mod chips".

Old 12-07-2006, 07:24 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: Before you buy a Ebay resistor 'Chip' - Read this first

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_270014/tm.htm

But thanks!