General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Better MPG Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 10:36 PM
HCF Member
Default Better MPG Help

I've had a 2000 Civic EX coupe for a while now and I've recently come into some money so I can know fix it up a bit. I'm looking to get as much out of it, gas wise, as I can. I've changed the spark plugs and wires and keep the air filter pretty clean. The tires are basically brand new and I've been driving it like a grandpa. I've heard that a cold air intake and muffler will give me a little bit more MPG. I've also considered a full blown tune up and timing belt change since its got 136,000 miles. Is there anything else I can do that won't drain my wallet? ANY suggestions are helpful.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:29 AM
HCF Member

Belt change is a good idea, especially if you don't know when it was last changed.
As for gas mileage - short ram intake and a different muffler can help your gas mileage. The tube of the short ram intake <sri> doesn't have to be fancy. Just make sure you get a good filter. When it comes to the muffler - i'm weird. I like to relocate the muffler. I don't like it being at the end of the car. I put it in the middle. This has always made a better tone in my cars, and kept my cars from making that ricer loud scream tone. I also put the same input and output on the muffler. FK having a larger exit size.

And for better gas mileage all around - drive nice. Leave gaps between you and other cars, stay off the brakes as much as possible, keep your tires properly inflated, and use cruise control all that you can < if you have it lol >

Old 10-31-2009, 07:35 AM
HCF Member

If its a stick, drive like you dont have brakes. By that I mean, coast everywhere with the clutch pushed in.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:25 AM
HCF Member

Whats the difference between a ram intake and cold air?

Old 11-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

thats slightly vauge..

sri: Short ram intake: the tube is usually larger than stock, it reaches into the corner of the engine bay to get the coolest air possible.. better than stock

Ram Intake: Longer tube, extends down into the wheelwell behind the bumper, gets colder air

heres the thing tho, ram intakes are prone to picking up water on rainy days or driving thru a puddle. they also dont give as good throttle responce... i prefer sri's

Old 11-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Hot air is good for mpg. Cold air will make more horsepower.

If you're driving for economy it's best to never floor the gas pedal, so you don't care about horsepower any more.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:20 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Hot air is good for mpg. Cold air will make more horsepower.

If you're driving for economy it's best to never floor the gas pedal, so you don't care about horsepower any more.
first person who gave an accurate response

Old 11-02-2009, 03:23 PM
HCF Member

what kind of plugs should i get? should i get good wires as well?

Old 11-02-2009, 04:33 PM
HCF Member

Just get NGK V-power copper plugs and OEM NGK blue wires. D16s don't like aftermarket plugs (unless you are turbo/supercharge) and those give the best results.

Also consdier replacing your fuel filter, if you don't know when that happened last.

Quick Reply: Better MPG Help