General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

blew my motor today

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 11:34 PM
HCF Member
Default blew my motor today

well one day a few months ago, my oil ran a little lower than i realized and ever since then my motor has been clicking during acceleration. today i was accelerating on the interstate to pass a car (doing 5k rpm in 3rd.... around 80 mph) and i heard a bad noise. I looked in my rearview and saw smoke pouring from behind my car. my motor shut off and i stopped and looked under the hood and oil was covering everything. good news is i found an ex motor with only 60k miles (mine had 119k )and a brand new clutch for $600 15 minutes after it happened. btw, does anyone know if 7th gen ex trans' differ from lx trans'? so yeah, i've had a bad day.... haha.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:38 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: blew my motor today

dont know if the gearing is different in the transmission but other than that I'd bet nothing else is different

Old 08-31-2007, 11:46 PM
HCF Member

well, it has vtec and mine doesn't so the motor itself is an upgrade. its not like i'm upgrading to a k20, but i'm trying to sell the car anyway, so i'm not trying to put that much money into it and i don't have that kind of money lying around at the moment anyway.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:32 AM
HCF Member

wow that sucks...sounds likea good time do go a motor swap, why dont u just keep it an build a motor or boost it??

Old 09-01-2007, 09:42 AM

You spun a bearing and threw the rod through the block.

You're going to need a VTEC ECU and wire VTEC into the wiring harness in order to use that EX engine...

Old 09-01-2007, 04:38 PM
HCF Member

yeah, i'm getting the ecu and everything... i'm considering keeping it, since someone hit me and has to give me $2400 for the damage. that will leave my payoff at around $500. i really doubt i will keep it though, i'm probably going to put the $2400 in savings until i sell my car. i found a 99 hatch with a b20 motor and ls trans for $3k, the motor has 40k miles and the trans needs 3rd gear synchros, so i will probably just get that after i sell my car. since my g/f bought me a turbo for my bday last year, i do have a garrett t3 waiting on my next car.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:44 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: PNK SLP

wow that sucks...sounds likea good time do go a motor swap, why dont u just keep it an build a motor or boost it??
7th gen boost, big troubles on the way.....

anyway, that sucks you blew it, but good luck with the swap!

Old 09-01-2007, 04:56 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720
7th gen boost, big troubles on the way.....
yeah too much work with returnless fuel line and plastic intake manny... i'll just wait on my ek hatch or eg coupe... depending on which i decide to get.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:00 PM
HCF Member

Its not usually as fun to buy a project car from someone else, you never know how badly they treated it.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:28 PM
HCF Member

the motor and tranny aren't even in the car. this guy is a friend of mine and has tons of honda parts lying around. i just sold him a honda shell to fix and sell. he asked me what i was looking for when he saw my car was for sell. i told him i wanted an ek hatch and how much i wanted to spend and he told me he'd put that motor and tranny in it and sell it to me for that much. with so little mileage on the parts, i doubt it could be in that bad of shape.

Quick Reply: blew my motor today