General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

boost vs. n/a

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 12:54 PM
HCF Member
Default boost vs. n/a

soon ill have my z6 head on my d15 block, now heres wats puzzling me, ahould i go boost or just get performance internals....... i dont want to go boost cause of the hassle and the cost of it, im more intresting in going n/a and see how much i ccan build up a sohc vtec for an everysay driver..... which internals should i change wen doing the head swap and how much would it run me ?

Old 03-06-2007, 03:27 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: boost vs. n/a

Cam, valve springs and valve spring retainers.

Building a NA SOHCreally depends on how much you want to spend, but if you want more than 150whp, I suggest boosting it. Check out that thread "Builing a powerful NA z6/y8."

Old 03-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

+1

Avoiding boost cause of cost?? I don't think so, reaching big goals N/A is going to end up costing you more in the long run, and you'll run into just as many problems as you would if you go boost. It's a pretty common misconception that its "easier" to go N/A

Old 03-07-2007, 10:00 AM
HCF Member

boost does seem more complicated because of all the tuning and stuff, but in all honesty i think itd be worth it. And with a complte valvetrain kit, cam, forged pistons, rods, retains and hte likes, that will cost you as much if not more than Pete's Turbo Grocery List. If you boost it with the new VTEC head on there, you wont regret it

Old 03-07-2007, 12:51 PM
HCF Member

Don't forget about the added weight of boosting, and the lack of traction a fwd setup has with the big torque of a turbo. N/A isn't out of the question.

I, however, agree that boosting is the way to go for power.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:18 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: pWnEdU

Don't forget about the added weight of boosting, and the lack of traction a fwd setup has with the big torque of a turbo.
true about the weight, and i never really knew that about the traction but i guess it makes sense (you learn somethin new everyday )

and also theres only so much power you can make with N/A, where as with a turbo you can keep upping the boost (althoguh you're probably going to have to rebuild internally eventually anyway). You could always bore that thing out though.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:27 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

There really isn't THAT much added weight with boost.. Nothing that isn't made up for with the addition of torque

Old 03-07-2007, 01:48 PM
HCF Member

I dont think I have ever heard "extra weight" used as a negative for boost. Or tractions problems. You are gonna have trouble no matter where the added torque comes from.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:01 PM
HCF Member

I don't see how you couldn't have heard about traction problems. The FWD setup has the worst traction of any drive setup, and the addition of torque only amplifies it. Google the effects of weight transfer, that should shed some light.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:01 PM
HCF Member

Dude, what are you talking about?Are you really suggesting thathe shouldn't boost because he is gonna have traction problems? And that staying NA will alleviate this problem?Damn, I better go rip my turbo out before I spin the wheels.

Quick Reply: boost vs. n/a