General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Bought a 2000 Honda civic ex all stock. Please name affordable yet good mods!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by turnup_jermmms
true, and yea i do want a sound system that produces a GREAT bass. not shaking your ear wax bass, but one that you will hear from a good distance away. thanks alot for the help man im learning.
But why? You wont be a good distance away from the car. Making excessive noise is going to draw attention to you, and that isn't good usually.

However, you should make up a project thread once you start to get things moving!

Old 08-23-2012, 08:37 AM
HCF Member

true, and yea i do want a sound system that produces a GREAT bass. not shaking your ear wax bass, but one that you will hear from a good distance away. thanks alot for the help man im learning.
Type R Alpine stuff is good. I'd definitely recommend it. Be sure to amplify your speakers, it makes a huge difference. I bought a cheap pioneer 4 channel for $250 new for my speakers. It rocks. Bought a lot of my other components used. $40 amp, weeeeoooooo!

But yeah, a 12 inch type R in a ported box would be loud enough for you and won't break the bank. I've only got 400wrms going to it and it's a beast!

Old 08-23-2012, 02:00 PM
HCF Member

I already plan on getting it lowered, an exhaust system, an aem intake, a good sound system, spoon rims, underglow lights, a modo steering wheel. Here's the thing. I am a complete noob. This is my very first car. I need name brands that aren't going to empty out my wallet. I also need to know some places /sites that I can get them from. Im from New jersey. Also if there are any mods you have in mind, please tell me. Again, it's a 2000 Honda civic ex all stock and automatic. Also, in what order should I get them in? Does it matter? I know it doesn't matter with the exterior parts but the performance parts? Please help!
Good mods aren't always cheap.

-Exhaust I would get apexi ws2, greddy sp2, both have a nice, low but deep tone, no rasp, not obnoxious.
(look to spend $200-$300 for either used, $300-$400 new)

-Any SHORT ram/air intake is a good cheap upgrade. You could buy a cheapo intake pipe on ebay, then buy yourself an aem filter(requires no air filter oil).
This setup would be about $50 compared to around $130+ for a name brand kit and you will get the same sound/performance gains. Stay away from overpriced, overrated cold air intakes.

-If you lower your car more than 1" I would look into aftermarket/adjustable upper control arms for the front and rear. If you just lower it your camber will be off and could be dangerous in wet driving conditions. NEVER buy springs that were cut and never buy no name struts/springs or coilovers.
(most expensive upgrade of the car, doing everything I listed above will be around $800 minimum. If you go with coilovers expect at least $900 minimum)

-sound system, just do some research. I'd get a 5 channel 1000+ watt name brand amp, whatever speakers, whatever sub(10's or 12's, single or double), run all new speaker wire and all new wire for amp.
(quality setup new will probably be around $600 minimum if you already have an aftermarket radio with outputs)

-Fit an AP1 s2000 steering wheel('00-'03 model year), allows you to keep functional airbag, horn, cruise control. Stay away from "aftermarket" steering wheels since it's required by your car for safety inspections.
(will be around $300)

-Change license plate bulbs, dome lights, gauge cluster lights all with clear white leds. Stay away from any lights you put under your car. Stay away from goofy riced out aftermarket taillights and headlights. Stay away from cheapo projector/halo headlights. If you want a brighter, clearer headlight stay away from yellow or blue. White is the best. If you want the best headlight for your car look into retrofitting your headlight with hids. HID kits alone are $300+ and requires the fun job or taking apart your headlights and aligning them after you install them.

-Wheels are your choice and typically chrome wheels and/or large wheels on a civic get laughed at. For your car I'd go with 15's or 16's and any low profile tire size recommended for that. Look up Tire size calculator and compare stock tire size to aftermarket. Tirerack and discounttiredirect are two top sites I'd look at for wheels and they offer views of your car with the wheels they offer.

There's a lot you can do to your car, it's just a matter of where you want to start.

Tint, new seats(maybe from an s2000), reupholster your cloth door panels and arm rest cover with whatever design/material you want, custom headliner you can do yourself, new carpet if yours is old and dirty, upper strut bars, rear lower sway bar and subframe brace(one of the best suspension upgrades you can do, recommend it after you lower the car), rear disc brake conversion, custom painted valve cover, etc...

Don't forget important things though. Keeping up with engine oil changes(I'd go with full synthetic 10w30, pennzoil ultra, mobil 1, amsoil), regular transmission fluid changes(honda or amsoil), new ngk plugs(be sure to gap them properly regardless if it says pre-gapped), new ngk wires, new cap and rotor

My only problem with all of this is that your car is an automatic. If that's what you like that's all that matters. I don't know what situation you're in, but I definitely would go for your car in a manual before I did any mods.