General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

buy new or upgrade current car

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 10:01 AM
HCF Member
Default buy new or upgrade current car

hey guys,

i have a 2003 Honda Civic LX, very close to stock no power adders yet. i want alot more power than this but i also want fuel milage, i know i have to choose but thats not the point of this thread. i want to buy a 2006+ Civic SI maybe. they come stock with 200 HP and they look sick in my opinion. i could sell my car for around $10k, and buy one of those for around $20k. is that a bad idea? i could do a ****load of stuff to my car for $10000 but how relieable would it be? i need it to get to work and back everyday.

sorry i'm just thinking out loud here. what should i do guys?

i also tossed around the idea of building a V8 power house and keeping the civic stock. thats alot of $$$ though.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:07 AM
Default RE: buy new or upgrade current car

i really like the new Si, so I would get that. However, with 10000 you could make your car a lot faster than the stock Si.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:17 AM
HCF Member

i understand that. with 10k i could get cams, valves, vlave springs, keepers, pistons, rods, crank, and a turbo kit.....

might even have something left over for rims, paint, interior. but i need my car to be relieable. thats the big thing.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:22 AM

It should be reliable as long as you use quality parts, they are installed correctly, and get a good tune. I changed my mind; I vote for keeping the car and building and turboing the engine.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:14 PM
HCF Member

I'd sell your LX to buy a used EX if you want MPG and Regular Unleaded. Then build it and run low boost. Or get a used Si and boost it, if you're not too concerned with economy. Don't buy new. Depreciation in the first year is ridiculous. Civics level off better than most after that.

If you really want quick and fast fun on the cheap, get a street-legal moto that you can take to the track/trail. You could probably find a decent DR-Z400SM for under $5K, get over 50MPG with it, and not have crazy insurance premiums like with a sportbike.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:17 PM
HCF Member

I say buy the si and be happy with the performance it comes with

Old 07-03-2008, 06:06 AM
HCF Member

i had the same plan before. i have a 93 civic ex and was thinking of getting the 08 civic. being that they say that the new civic look would come out in 2011, i think i am willing to wait some more. besides, as with your first two replies, with the budget you have, you can do a lot of nice improvements on your current ride. one other thing that i like in the 93 civ is that it still has a lot of mechanical parts=repairable. the new ones have a lot of electrics now that when they break, you just have to replace them. but if you are itching for that "new car" feel, go for the 06 civ.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:52 AM
HCF Member

You must realize that putting 10K into your 03 Civic will NOT bring up the re-sale value 10K!!..... once you put that money in, you will have to keep the car for a long time to make it worth it money-wise......do you see yourself driving the same car 5 to 10 years down the road?....I for one get bored of a car after a couple of years. It's also harder to sell a "souped up" car, most people prefer un-molested vehicles when shopping for a used car.

In other words, if you decide to sell it after dumping 10K into it, you will not get most if it back. But, if you sell it now and buy a new Si, you will not lose nearly as much if anything at all when you try selling it...... Civics hold their value quite well, especially the Si!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im all about factory performance....go with the Si, leave it stock, and you will be very happy!!

Old 07-03-2008, 08:38 AM
HCF Member

I say keep the 03 civic and put 3000-5000 into it as you please, and keep the other 5000 for a rainy day.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 07-04-2008, 02:34 PM
HCF Member

Kommando, as for the street bike recommendation, i have a CR 250 and a brute force 750, i don't want or need any more off roads toys, the CR is for sale also.

i think i'll keep the civic, and just save and decide cause right now i have no idea what i wanna do. i have the cash to do either option, or buy some V8 muscle as a second car. but i'm still undecided.

Quick Reply: buy new or upgrade current car