General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Buying first Honda Civic

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 07:45 PM
Default Buying first Honda Civic

I found a manual 2000 LX with just slightly under 130000 km for 3000. Owner states that the Timing Belt was never changed. Brakes recently serviced.

What else should I look for? I don't know of any local mechanics, so should I offer to pay additional for a tune-up at a dealership if I end up buying the car. I've never driven standard either (but would be willing to learn, although then I wouldn't be able to test drive it)

Old 05-11-2012, 03:43 AM
HCF Member

Changing the timing belt also involves changing the water pump and all the other belts, at the same time. Look for things like hydraulic clutch fluid levels in the reservior, brake fluid level in the reservior, power steering fluid level, etc. Check the master clutch cylinders (master & slave) for leaks. Even though the owner told you the brakes were serviced, go and get them checked anyway. At 130,000 miles, you should be looking at a new clutch, throw-out bearing and mainshaft bearing, esp. if the car was driven hard by the previous owner. Look at the CV boots on both axles to see if they're cracked, or if they look old and dried out and ready to crack open.

Look at the rear bumper above the exhaust pipe to see if there is any black residue on it, which would indicate that it's burning oil. Have someone start the car, after it's been sitting overnight, while you're looking at the exhaust for any kind of smoke coming out when the car is started.

Bring someone with you who can drive a manual and have him/her feel out the car on a test drive.

Depending on how much work needs to be done, you're looking at spending an extra $2,000 to $4000 on repairs.

First thing I would do is change the oil ($32), manual transmission fluid ($90), hydraulic clutch fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, timing belts, accessory belts, water pump ($600), clutch and bearings ($1000), brake pads and rotors (if needed - $380).

Good luck.

Last edited by GreenToy; 05-11-2012 at 03:45 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:58 AM

Im also taking the civic plunge I've had similar questions go info thanks.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:22 PM
HCF Member
Smile

Originally Posted by GreenToy
Changing the timing belt also involves changing the water pump and all the other belts, at the same time. Look for things like hydraulic clutch fluid levels in the reservior, brake fluid level in the reservior, power steering fluid level, etc. Check the master clutch cylinders (master & slave) for leaks. Even though the owner told you the brakes were serviced, go and get them checked anyway. At 130,000 miles, you should be looking at a new clutch, throw-out bearing and mainshaft bearing, esp. if the car was driven hard by the previous owner. Look at the CV boots on both axles to see if they're cracked, or if they look old and dried out and ready to crack open.

Look at the rear bumper above the exhaust pipe to see if there is any black residue on it, which would indicate that it's burning oil. Have someone start the car, after it's been sitting overnight, while you're looking at the exhaust for any kind of smoke coming out when the car is started.

Bring someone with you who can drive a manual and have him/her feel out the car on a test drive.

Depending on how much work needs to be done, you're looking at spending an extra $2,000 to $4000 on repairs.

First thing I would do is change the oil ($32), manual transmission fluid ($90), hydraulic clutch fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, timing belts, accessory belts, water pump ($600), clutch and bearings ($1000), brake pads and rotors (if needed - $380).

Good luck.
I thought I read 130,000 KM wouldn't that be closer to 75-80,000 miles?
I know that 100,000 Kilometers is 62,000 Miles or about.
Anyway good post & suggestions.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If you buy the car, change the timing belt anyway because it is old and made of rubber. An important check is to take the oil cap off and look for sludge inside the engine from not changing the oil often enough. If you see black gunk, you will have engine problems.