General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Buying New Honda Civic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 07:09 AM
Default Buying New Honda Civic?

I recently bought an 07' Civic and thought I'd pass along some advice and info. Like most people, the first thing I checked was Edmunds to see what the Civics were actually selling for. The sticker for an 07' Civic EX, 5 sp was $19,305. Edmunds showed them generally selling for $18,300. The actual dealer invoice is close to $17,221

Lets start with the $19,305 price. If you look at the invoice, there is a $595 shipping cost (that is pure fluff or profit, tell them you aren't going to pay that)

Now you are down to $18,710. Accessories anyone? Here is where you ask for them (FOR FREE!!) At this point, in my mind I know they still have$1500 worth of profit in the car so I wanted the $1000 17" wheel upgrade, floor mats, splash guards and a trunk tray and cargo net. This totaled about $1400. So now I have them down to a couple hundred dollars profit.

* It is noteable to mention that this is the very first day, very first time I have walked in the door. This is when they are most aggressive in dealing because they want you to leave with a car that day. It is IMPERATIVE that you ask for EVERYTHING you want this day!

At this point, they are really pushing to get you to leave a deposit andyou tell them you want to think it over for a couple days. You will be getting phone calls almost constantly after that. After you let them squirm for a few days, or maybe even a week.......when they call, tell them to fax you over a "Buyers Order" with all the numbers. If you look at the Buyer's Order, you will notice a $495 "documentation fee".......PURE FLUFF!! The very next time they call you, tell them that a "documentation fee" is just the cost of doing business and that you aren't going to pay extra forit. (The reality of it is that they in fact DO have to include that, so you tell them just to deduct that from the price of the car) In my case, I got it cut in half, which was a pretty good indication that I was cutting their margin pretty thin.

My deal.......I got a new 07' Civic EX, 5 sp, FREE 17" wheels, trunk tray, floor mats, splash guards, cargo net for $18,600. Keep in mind, most customers pay $18,300.......however, I got $1500 worth of free accessories. AND I have the brand new factory 16" Alum wheels and tires that came with it that I will probably sell for $500 which will bring my final price down to $18,100. The only thing I would do differently next time would maybe be to get them to throw in the tires for the 17" wheels (even though they were crappy tires anyway).

I hope you guys find this useful. If you are looking for a Honda in the Atlanta area, I would recommend my salesperson. Her name is Eseynat Neway at Curry Honda. She gave me a good deal, but more than that, she managed any problems I had afterward. They accidentally ordered the wrong 17" wheels and she handled getting the correct ones and even arranged for me to get my tires and wheels installed for FREE! I'd give her a thumbs up. Tell her Dayne Nelson sent you so I can get my hundred bucks!! :-)

Old 07-09-2007, 07:20 AM
Default RE: Buying New Honda Civic?

^ nice advice i never knew they had docunment fee and shipping fee. i knwo when i Build/Price a car onlien is say shipping fee..