General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Buying Parts- help appreciated (Timing belt and water pump)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Default Buying Parts- help appreciated (Timing belt and water pump)

I am replacing the timing belt and water pump on my car tomorrow with the help of a friend. He asked me to get the parts beforehand and I just want ot make sure I do everything right.

I have a 4-door 04 Honda Civic LX Is there a certain brand timing belt i should get? What's recommended? Also, I've read in addition to the timing belt usually something else is supposed to be replaced too... maybe a tensioner or something? I can't remember.

I just want to make sure I buy the right stuff and not a crappy part that will need to be replaced again soon. I drive a moderate amount and sometimes we take road trips, not sure if that should factor in.

Anyway any help or suggestions would be much appreciated, and also ball park figures on how much these parts should cost would help. I don't want to overpay thanks

Old 06-21-2011, 04:10 PM

Go with OEM Honda timing belt, water pump, and belt tensioner. These are parts that you do NOT want to go cheaper on.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:29 PM

Okay, maybe this is a stupid question but where do I get that OEM from? Is that the brand name? I was just looking on autozone.com because it's closest to me but I can't find it anywhere on their site :/

Old 06-21-2011, 04:53 PM

OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer. Basically, go with genuine Honda parts.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:49 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If you had more time you could order from a discount dealer like Majestic Honda. I think it is about $130 for the set.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by mk378
If you had more time you could order from a discount dealer like Majestic Honda. I think it is about $130 for the set.
Yeah, I just figured that out doing a little more research. Kinda frustrating I didn't find that out sooner but oh well, I'll still be saving money DIY regardless. Unless we screw it up royally haha

Thanks guys

Old 06-22-2011, 07:16 AM

One last question- how crucial is using OEM for the motor mount?

I have a manual transmission which it looks like costs more anyway, but the price at the dealer is considerably more than some of the local places which are selling a Duralast brand.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:48 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by obsessedmess
I am replacing the timing belt and water pump on my car tomorrow with the help of a friend. He asked me to get the parts beforehand and I just want ot make sure I do everything right.

I have a 4-door 04 Honda Civic LX Is there a certain brand timing belt i should get? What's recommended? Also, I've read in addition to the timing belt usually something else is supposed to be replaced too... maybe a tensioner or something? I can't remember.

I just want to make sure I buy the right stuff and not a crappy part that will need to be replaced again soon. I drive a moderate amount and sometimes we take road trips, not sure if that should factor in.

Anyway any help or suggestions would be much appreciated, and also ball park figures on how much these parts should cost would help. I don't want to overpay thanks
ObsessedMess,

Whatever you do make sure that you avoid procuring your OEM replacement parts from the dealership, as they will charge you a veritable arm and leg for the water pump and its encompassing parts! There are many reputable discounted OEM Honda parts e-tailers out there (Autozone or an equivalent auto parts store MAY carry the parts you need but they most likely will not be OEM). Personally, I would recommend buying your parts from hondapartsnow.com. I buy most of my S2000 routine maintenance parts from them and have had nothing but positive shopping experiences. The water pump itself is genuine OEM and looks to run about $55 (Part Detail) so your accountant will be able to rest easy

Good luck with your repairs man!

Old 06-22-2011, 03:15 PM

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I did end up going ot the dealer but I think he felt bad for me because he gave me list price on everything lol
I think I still could have found the water pump slightly cheaper but overall I saved money and everything went smoothly so I'm satisfied.

Next time though, if it's an important part like that I will definitely buy in advance online! Thanks everyone

Old 06-22-2011, 06:38 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by obsessedmess
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I did end up going ot the dealer but I think he felt bad for me because he gave me list price on everything lol
I think I still could have found the water pump slightly cheaper but overall I saved money and everything went smoothly so I'm satisfied.

Next time though, if it's an important part like that I will definitely buy in advance online! Thanks everyone
If you dont mind me asking, how much were all of the parts? How long did it take you to do the job? Do you think it was pretty easy and worth the savings?

Quick Reply: Buying Parts- help appreciated (Timing belt and water pump)