General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Buying Parts- help appreciated (Timing belt and water pump)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Hous
If you dont mind me asking, how much were all of the parts? How long did it take you to do the job? Do you think it was pretty easy and worth the savings?
Well my brother-in-law was the one who did the work. The parts were about $160 I also had to replace a motor mount which I didn't include in that total.

He has worked on cars before, said he did another timing belt once before and was able to do it alright but that the timing belt would probably be the extent of what he would do, that it was probably one of the most time consuming, involved things he's done working on cars.

Took about 5 hours. I paid him $100 (which he said was too much) but considering they were going to charge me $500 just for the timing belt, more for the water pump (not sure how much) plus $200 for the motor mount it saved me tons of money and was absolutely worth it!

There was a really good DIY thread I found on here that I researched a good deal before we started, it recommended buying a crank shaft pulley tool (I think is what it's called) well, we didn't have one but O'Reiley's (used to be Checker's) rented one for free just had to leave a deposit so that was great.

One thing not mentioned in the DIY though which Is hould have taken as a given was to have fluids on hand (specifically coolant and power steering) for when it's all done. Also they said get a balancer belt but my car actually doesn't use one, just the timing belt. And I did not replace the tensioner this time.

Anyway, it's been a day since and everything seems to be doing awesome! Motor running really well, nothing weird going on, I'm really glad we got it done.