General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Car Broke after long ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:40 AM
Default Car Broke after long ride

Hi,

Did oil change for my 2002 Honda civic last week. Took it to Yosemeite yesterday from San Jose. Around 175 mile ride. When i was climbing hill, car shuts down.
I let it cool for some time and started the car. It started but with Engine lights on. After reaching the destination, i left the car to cool down for more than an hour. Now i dont see the engine light.
What could be the problem with the car? Is it only over heating of engine or something else? I see that coolant level is low in the car. If i fill it up will it be fine? what else i should be looking for?
Planning to take the car for another long ride to las vegas.. 400 mile drive..
Your suggestions will be very helpful.

thanks
Nishanth

Old 08-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Pull the CEL code. This can be done using an OBDII scan tool or by taking the car to an auto parts store like AutoZone.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:02 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Keep the cooling system full at all times. When the engine is cold check both in the plastic bottle and the radiator. If the radiator is becoming empty but there is still some in the bottle, try a new radiator cap.

Watch the gauge for overheating and stop immediately if it occurs-- don't wait for the engine to "shut down". There is no "protective system" to shut down the engine in case of overheating. It will try to keep going until it can't any more, often resulting in major damage. Carry extra coolant with you and after the engine cools, refill if necessary before driving again.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:06 PM

thanks for your valuable suggestions. I couldnt find the jumper plug in my 02 model.. autozone doenst rent the code reader.. they asked me buy it.. it is against california law thats what he quoted.. they cannot rent the tool..

Old 08-18-2009, 09:04 AM
FRZ
HCF Member

Originally Posted by raonishanth
thanks for your valuable suggestions. I couldnt find the jumper plug in my 02 model.. autozone doenst rent the code reader.. they asked me buy it.. it is against california law thats what he quoted.. they cannot rent the tool..
Wow, california is so cheap that autozone won't give you a free check? That must be the only place they don't do that.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by raonishanth
Try another auto parts store. Alternatively, buy an inexpensive scan tool.