General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Car Problem.. I need some help here im all out of ideas

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 09:14 PM
Default Car Problem.. I need some help here im all out of ideas

Hello, I drive a 1994 Honda Civic Dx Coupe. Lately I have been having serious problems with my car, the car while in drive will die repeatedly, as if a stalling motion. so it kinda jolts forward followed by a release of pressure in accelleration. at first i thought it was the battery and or altenator. i ruled those out, and then i thought it was coil and starter, ruled those out, then i thought it was the sparkplug and exhaust. ruled those out as well. Now when i try driving the car it just dies and wont start up until i leave it for a few hours.

i heard suggestions that it could be my starter or spark plug cables. I really need help here cause im all out of ideas, if you think or know the problem or have any useful tips i would greatly appreciate it.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:33 PM
HCF Member

do you still drive the car? So the car will not start up after driving it(with the problem's or does it just stall and thast it?), untill a few hour's? How long has it been going on? It's a consistent problem after starting it or does it drive normal then die's repeatedly after driving?

What was the last thing you did to the car be for you had this problem/ or felt somthing wrong? Did you fill it up with gas?

I dont think it would be the starter if the car starts, sounds more like a motor/ fual injeter problem than electrical.

Last edited by enigma34; 02-25-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:25 PM

well as of late the problems have been more severe, car dying while in drive. and when i try a rolling start or start from park.. nothing happends, you hear the starter trying to turn over the engine but nothing. last night it happened shortly after leaving a friends place happend at a stop sign. came to a stop and the car died and wouldnt turn back on. left it at my friends over night and came back this morning and the car started up and was able to drive home. Tonight the car died while i was driving i had to pull over to the side of the road and push my car cause it wouldnt start. The car has half a tank. i cant figure out whats wrong with it. I've replaced the battery, the coil, the exhaust, air filter, and spark plugs

Old 02-25-2009, 10:33 PM

what happends before the car stalls and dies is. a jolting motion forward like the car is struggling to acceleorate, followed by a release of pressure in the accelorator pedal. then the engine will cut out. after that the car wont turn on or if it does it sounds like it missfires and will turn on but will does the same jolting motion followed by the vehicle stalling. someone suggested it could be the fuel pump. is that a possibility ?

Old 02-25-2009, 10:49 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by jay-saul
I've replaced the battery, the coil, the exhaust, air filter, and spark plugs
You replaced this stuff when the problem started or be for?

you may be having trouble with your alternator, many auto parts shops will test your alternator for free

some stuff you could try, new fuel filter, and replace distributor cap and rotor. New spark plug wires help, but i dont know how old the ones you have are?

pressure in the accelorator pedal.

i think that loss of pressure in the gas pedal is becuase the car has already shut off.

Last edited by enigma34; 02-25-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:04 PM
HCF Member

someone suggested it could be the fuel pump. is that a possibility ?
that could also be the problem, but firts change the fuEl filter.

READ THIS,For ansers about a bad fual pump click on link.
http://www.wisegeek.com/how-do-i-kno...-fuel-pump.htm

Last edited by enigma34; 02-25-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:14 PM

well everything ive listed i replaced has been since mid december til now. thats when it started its just gradually it got more sevre. its definatly not the altenator i did the testing for that already. but i was thinking about replacing what you listed distributor cap and rotor. New spark plug wires and a fuel pump. im not sure what the cause of the problem is. someone also said fuel injector cleaner would solve the problem, i doubt it though. have you ever come across a problem like mine ?

Old 02-25-2009, 11:18 PM

Do you have a CEL (check engine light)?

When you turn the key in the ignition to the point right before the starter kicks in, do you hear the fuel pump prime for 2 seconds? (low hum coming from under the back seat)

One of the things that 5th generation Civics are famous for is the main relay failing. The solder points on the relay board dry out and crack. Sometimes the spark will jump that crack and run. Other times, you get no power to the fuel pump and the car dies or won't start. If this is your problem, you can repair this yourself! All you need is a soldering iron.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:27 PM

thing is the check engine light never came on so im not sure. i didnt know about the infamous main relay failing

Old 02-25-2009, 11:31 PM

When you turn put the key in the ignition, turn, and the lights come on, does the CEL come on for two seconds then turn off? If so, that means it works. If not, the bulb is disconnected or burned out and you could have CEL codes to retrieve that will tell you the source of your problems!

Quick Reply: Car Problem.. I need some help here im all out of ideas