General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

civic exchange

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 11:23 AM
HCF Member
Default civic exchange

i currently have a 95 civic dx auto trans ... all stock. i was planning on modding it.. but dont have the money right now and it would need A LOT of work. need engine swap of course, but the interior is in bad shape, it needs some body work, paint job, etc. it would probably take me a year to get it all done the way i want it. and i dont even have any tools yet . plus, i want a manual.

so im thinking of selling this one and replacing it with a newer civic thats in a little better condition.

any opinions on what year/trim level i should look at - sticking with 5th-6th gen? just curious.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:51 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: civic exchange

well like anyone i say buy what YOU LIKE and can afford

everyone has thier own taste.....
but anycar can be cleaned up.... hell im cleaning up a 94civic right now... tho luckely interior is preaty decent....

interior parts can be found preaty cheap preaty easily... cause alot of people strip them out for BS WEIGHT REDUCTION.... and think its cool... but to me ill suffer 1/2second on my time and have full interior.LOL
its just not worth it to me!

Old 09-30-2007, 11:59 AM
HCF Member

ya i see what youre sayin. its just.. it would cost about 10k to get her all said and done, plus i have no tools! and right now no garage either. its depressing just thinking about it.

thanks for your opinion. hows the 94 comin?

Old 09-30-2007, 12:00 PM

Are U planning on modding it while it's your daily driver & can't have it down for very long at a time?

Old 09-30-2007, 12:04 PM
HCF Member

no...there is another car i can drive while working on it.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:23 PM
Recognized HCF Member

10k SEEMS LIKE HIGH...
i got my replacement used motor for 250bucks.. ive spent more for new seals, belts, hoses id estimate about 4-500bucks.... tranny was suposedly rebuilt last year but since i bought it with the motor blown i have not driven it so until i starts and drives i cannt test the tranny realy... BUT i got high hopes for it at least... im geting JUST ABOUT ready to drop the motor/tranny back in.. just waiting on clutch kit now... and to buy the replacement axle and it SHOULD BE driving on its own in 1-2weeks... depending on how fast i get the clutch kit!

Old 09-30-2007, 12:38 PM
HCF Member

ohh man thats awesome. sounds like a good find. hopefully that tranny holds up. axle shouldnt be too bad price wise right? i had mine replaced for ... 400 i think? parts & labor. cant wait to see her up and running!

well with the 10k .. this is what i started with: https://www.tigerjapanese.com/produc...roducts_id=238 course i dont know if i can trust this site .. but its fun to look.

i got an estimate on paint the job.. wanted 3k for factory paint.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member

3K needs to be a full job... all fixed problems/dents, paint and a buff... or a color change....

and ya axle said like about 60bucks for the replacement axle so shouldnt be to bad.
its good to have a project as long as ya have a backup car.... if ya got a yard.... just buy a tent put it over the area youll be working on and your golden... a garage is just a comfort plus..... ya just need some plywood to slap down on the grass if ya have some jack stands or a engine hoist.
so far with my 94 engine pull the only thing special i have needed is 2 sockets for the clutch and flywheel cause they are 12point bolts. cost only 5bucks for both sockets at local napa autoparts...
other than that common socket set, crow bar, screw drivers, engine hoist and a engine stand for easier engine work....

and this is the 1st hondas ive realy worked on.... my 99 and this 94.... with both the CHILTONS manual book helps ALOT
but body work is the only part that cannt just be picked up and done.... one of those things ya realy just gotta have the feel for....

Old 09-30-2007, 05:07 PM
HCF Member

dang thats pretty good for what youre doin..i thought i would need a zillion tools..unfortanetly .. no yard either. but i should be movin again soon anyway.

where did you get the chiltons? haynes any good? i was thinking of picking one of those up anyway cause i gotta do the brakes soon.

cheap axle. what else have you got in store for the 94??

Old 09-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Recognized HCF Member

not a whole lot just yet... have to decide how much i like this 94... since it doesnt have AC its not a summer driver...
well chiltons or hayness... i always get the 2 mixed up.LOL its the hayness book....
its a preaty nice book for most work.... i buy them for every vehicle i buy!

Quick Reply: civic exchange