General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Civic Generations compared

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 02:21 PM
HCF Member
Default Civic Generations compared

Hey guys, sorry in advance if this is all simple information or common knowledge!

I am looking to get an EX coupe (maybe sedan) and cannot decide between 5th and 6th generation Civics. I know the D16Y8 is in the 6th and a version with lower compression (and 2hp less) in the 5th, also supposedly a newer suspension in the 6th?

Do the different generations have different weights, are some parts just better in the 6th? Body/frame changes, under the hood stuff, wiring, aerodynamics, etc? I am willing to spend a few hundred more on a 6th but before I decide which generation to go with I really want to make sure I've done my homework.

Feel free to spew as much technical information as you want at me. Thanks!

Old 10-15-2008, 03:57 PM

they're very very similar. The 2hp doesn't really matter.

The main difference is the 6th gens are OBD2, and 5th gens are OBD1. OBD2 isn't chipable, so if you're planning on doing something that's gonna require tuning (i.e. turbo, engine build), you'll have to go through extra work to convert to OBD1. 92-95 comes with OBD1, so no work required except socketing the ECU.

Also, 5th gens are typically 1-2 hundred pounds lighter.

There's not really anything else between them that makes them different, besides just how they look. Pretty much everything else is the same.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:34 PM
HCF Member

^th gens are newer, so pretty much if you want a newer civic get a 6th gen, if you dont car then 5th gen better .

Old 10-15-2008, 05:44 PM
HCF Member

Thanks for the info guys. driftingfan you're saying the 5th gen is better?

I don't really plan to do tuning or an engine build, Idk maybe someday. The 5th gens are lighter... is this because of revised emissions standards for 1996, or is the 6th gen frame more cumbersome? I'm assuming the increased weight in 6th gen means poorer fuel economy, but does the D16Y8 get better economy than the D16Z6?

I really want to decide between generations here so I can get the most reliable, efficient car... even if one generation is only better by 2%.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:52 PM

the frames are virtually identical between 5th and 6th generations of the same body style. The 2 engines are also virtually the same engine, and get almost identical gas mileage. I'm not really sure why the 6th gen is heavier, the emissions differences don't add but a couple more pounds on the 6th gen.

I think it may have to do with the dash for example. The dash and console on the 6th gen looks a little heavier than the 5th gen one.

Both generations are going to be equally reliable and efficient if they have both been properly maintained. It's basically personal preference.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:54 PM
HCF Member

Well I have D16Y8 with vtec and its doing well gas wise. Im done like at least 6 runs were its gone over 140km/h for like 2 miles and once at 170 for like 4 miles. If you arent planning to build engine then just get d16y8. But it also depends on the styling, personally i like 6th gen styling more.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:29 PM
HCF Member

i personally like the 6th gen better, i think it looks better, performance is pretty similar

Old 10-15-2008, 08:27 PM
HCF Member

i like them both, but i feel as though 6th gens have more aftermarket support, i your going to be into modding it at all.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Overurhead360
i like them both, but i feel as though 6th gens have more aftermarket support, i your going to be into modding it at all.
5th and 6th gens have the same amount of aftermarket support

heck, most aftermarket parts that fit the 6th gen fit the 5th gen too, it's rarely a different part number (besides the actual Honda part number)

Old 10-16-2008, 01:18 AM
HCF Member

The newer the civic the heavier they get. Not by a whole lot but the difference between a 4th gen and a 6th gen is pretty big (300-400 lbs)

5th gen, share alot of common parts with the 6th gens. except the struts have wider forks on the 5th gens (5th gens and 94-01 Integra's are the same) but everything else is the same or interchangeable. Engines, suspension (sway bars and springs, strut bars, etc.)

5th gens have OBD-I as mentioned before, they are lighter yet have the same engine bay size. They are cheaper to find yet they might require alot of work. 6th gens primarily will be in better shape and have less miles, but IMO the weight difference isn't dramatic. My 97 sedan only weighs 100lbs more than the EJ2 coupes. I like the styling of all the civics but i fell in love with the 6th gens. So i have one.

If it's gonna be a comfortable DD, go with a 6th gen as it has more sound deadening and creature comforts (added weight) the 5th gens are lighter and an easier package to mod right away. Either one can be very good and it's mostly all about personal preference and personal usage. My car is my project car/ DD so i need it to be comfortable yet a little bit more fun to drive.

Quick Reply: Civic Generations compared