General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

civic hatch awd

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Default civic hatch awd

I am new to this forum so if I am not sure if I am posting in the correction section but I have a question about an awd civic swap. I know this has probably been discussed many many times, but the idea I have is to swap all of the awd components from a junk yard 4 door civic to a project ef civic 2 door hatch. I don't plan on doing a whole lot of performance besides a few basic parts, since I know the 4 door civic awd components are not made for much more performance than stock. It may not make sense why build an awd car with almost stock power, but I am looking for a fun awd "rally beater"

My question is, does anyone know of this swap? Or any pointers/tips on the swap. Both vehicles are 89 civics.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:05 AM
HCF Member

First off, welcome to the forum local OKC ef guy. The awd swap from what I have read about is remotely straight foward. There is a little fabrication needed and you must stay d-series. If your serious about doing this id love to help as I'm wanting to do this myself.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:27 AM

Welcome to the forum, OKC native. I used to live there but got transplanted in Arkansas. From what I understand, you'll have to use a different gas tank because of the drive shaft and differential, but it's possible. And yes, there's some fabrication required.

I've seen some of the AWD wagovans and they're AWESOME. There was a local build with a supercharged D series AWD daily driver. I've also seen someone put tracks on an AWD civic instead of wheels. They look like tons of fun.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:00 PM
HCF Member

You didn't geg transplanted. You got misplaced. Haha

I believe the drive shaft is too long for a direct swap over. This is where you start measuring and finding your clearances. I belive the trailing arms are direct bolt ons. No fab needed.