General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Civic Hybrids. Are they really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 02:36 AM
Default Civic Hybrids. Are they really worth it?

According to company's site, you pay more for them. And the batteries when disposed, are just as contaminating as the extra CO2 regular gas only Civics emit.

Before any flaming, I will acknowledge that I am completely ignorant on the matter and would like to know more.
Much appreciated.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:11 PM
Default RE: Civic Hybrids. Are they really worth it?

Akus,

I really am not convinced that the hybrid Civic is worth the extra purchase price and the required extra cost for long term maintenance. Honda is really screwing up by not offering the high MPG gas or diesel power Civic that they currently offered in the European market. Honda had a good thing going when they had the 92-95 VX Civic Hatch Back and the HX model in the 1996 to 2000 year. Yes gas is going back to $3 a gallon and more in the months ahead.

Long term ownership and repair such as batteries, rotors & stators in the wheels and the more complex electronic systems will probably become rather costly to repair. I would like to see a real world cost benefit chart on this issue.

Honda is also screwing up royally by not offering a Civic Wagon that has the same length as the Civic sedan.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:21 PM
HCF Member

Problem with a civic wagon (station wagon, not hatchback) is that no1 would by it. THere are very few station wagons on the market right now. Also, diesel isn't big in the U.S. which is the reason why Honda doesn't have a diesel civic. There are only a handful of diesel passangers cars on the american market as it is. As far as the higher MPG cars, i've actually not heard of them but that might be because i don't keep up with the Euro car scene.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:14 PM

Go to http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byclass.htm select year "2006" then "Station Wagon" quite a list? Humm . . .? Honda could clean up on the small wagon market. A 38 MPG Civic Wagon with 140+ HP would sell really well.

The new Honda Fit is fine except it's basically a 5 door hatch back but lacks the true room of a wagon. My local Honda dealer also sell the KIA line and they have 5 door wagons that are comparable to the wagon in configuration. I would never buy a KIA.

Go to http://www.honda.co.uk/car/ select build civic and note the power plant option and the diesel "Award winning Diesel" And the High MPG gas engines. Sure they're down on power but I'd rather have more $$$ in my pocket.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006...to_manufa.html

Honda Develops Next-Generation Clean Diesel Engine
Capable of Meeting Stringent Tier II Bin 5 Emissions Requirements in the U.S.
http://www.hondanews.com/CatID2001?m...36380&mime=asc

Regardless I've already called Honda USA HQ and given them an ear full on not getting up to speed on this.

Old 10-17-2006, 09:17 PM

to own a hybrid car costs more to get into it than a regular version, if you don't plan on keeping that car for a long time than that extra premium you pay for a hybrid to save gas, you won't save that much in gas, and you will spend more. hybrids are not miricle cars.

in my local newspaper they took all the hybrid cars on the market and and there non-hybrid siblings, and figured how many years you need to own it before the money you save in gas pays for the extra cost of the hybrid. the toyota prius only took 2-3 years to pay for the hybrid option in gas savings alone. while the toyota highlander would take 18 years. so it just depends how long you own it and how much you drive it to make it worth it.

Old 10-17-2006, 09:40 PM

I am really curious to know the real world economy stats of the Civic GX natural gas powered, just written up in my latest issue of Popular Science (a mag I have read since I was a kid, still enjoyable, though I miss the car reviews it once featured). Another recent stat says the Civic hybrid is #2 to the Prius in gas economy. Myself, the majority of the driving I do is highway, and that is not what hybrids are for, they are for commuting in city traffic, where you can nudge along on batteries and not send fumes into the air. A great thing, certainly, and needs to be encouraged. If Honda was still offering a wagon (in the UK, I would take the Accord over the Volvo immediately), I would have bought it, even paying extra for the space. My bandmate drives an Escape, the rare SUV I like, but the need for 4-wheel drive I think is mostly unfounded, even here in the Northeast.

The article did point out that there is almost nowhere to get CNG at retail (there are companies with fleets with the infrastructure to support it), and I read about the challenges of getting it delivered at a retail level.

Diesel (Europe vs. US) is a whole 'nother story. Do a search and read up.

Old 10-17-2006, 10:22 PM

ORIGINAL: c6bass

I am really curious to know the real world economy stats of the Civic GX natural gas powered, just written up in my latest issue of Popular Science (a mag I have read since I was a kid, still enjoyable, though I miss the car reviews it once featured). Another recent stat says the Civic hybrid is #2 to the Prius in gas economy. Myself, the majority of the driving I do is highway, and that is not what hybrids are for, they are for commuting in city traffic, where you can nudge along on batteries and not send fumes into the air. A great thing, certainly, and needs to be encouraged. If Honda was still offering a wagon (in the UK, I would take the Accord over the Volvo immediately), I would have bought it, even paying extra for the space. My bandmate drives an Escape, the rare SUV I like, but the need for 4-wheel drive I think is mostly unfounded, even here in the Northeast.

The article did point out that there is almost nowhere to get CNG at retail (there are companies with fleets with the infrastructure to support it), and I read about the challenges of getting it delivered at a retail level.

Diesel (Europe vs. US) is a whole 'nother story. Do a search and read up.
i heard there ws a company working on a home filling station called "phil" don't know how they spelled it, but it taps into your houses gas line and you can fill your ng powered vehicle from home and just pay your monthly gas bill.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:36 PM

if only the batteries were engerizer.

so they can keep going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going ....

and going ...

Old 10-22-2006, 09:34 AM
Cam
HCF Member

The US is getting 'proper' diesel now is it not? For years (so I've read) you've all had some fairly crude diesel that the new diesel engines from europe and japan can't run on. It won't take you long to fall for diesel cars though, they're just so quick and damn frugal!! My parents Golf tdi will get me to uni quicker than my civic while no doubt using about half the fuel! Awesome. Batteries are a joke though, investing money in that is a waste of time in my opinion, companies are only doing it to keep environmentalists happy, and governments off their backs. Suss out how to make a car run on water and I'll have one of those. The only place for batteries is in sports cars, 100% torque from 0rpm. nice.

Old 10-22-2006, 10:33 AM

no we still have crappy diesel, and the costs are average 30-40 cents more per gallon for it where i live, so even tho diesel is better gas mileage, they won't take off until the prices come down. same thing with the E-85 crap, it costs moe than regular gas, and on top of that you get worse gas mileage when you use it, that just doesn't make sense to me.

good fuel economy - samll engine, manuel trans, and a lightweight small aerodynamic car

Quick Reply: Civic Hybrids. Are they really worth it?