General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Civic Info: EG EK EX SI

Old 12-19-2011, 09:35 AM
HCF Member
Default Civic Info: EG EK EX SI

Can anyone clear this up for me. What is the EG and EK model Civics and how do they differ from the other civics say the EX an SI models? Are these 5th gen hbacks or are they coupe models? If anyone has any more light they can help shed on this for me or anywhere i can read more about these thats would be great. Thanks!

Old 12-19-2011, 10:09 AM

I won't bother with saying search on google, since I pray to God you did that already. They are basic chassis codes essentially.

EG = 92-95

EK = 96-00

EX/SI/CX/DX/HX/LX/VX are all trims. I will not go into explaining exactly what each have and don't have. That would take too long. However, here is a general break down.

CX - EG/EK hatchback only. Economy only, power nothing. Usually no A/C or P/S

VX - EG Hatchback only. Economy driven, 45+ mpgs. power nothing. Usually no A/C or P/S

DX - EG/EK coupe and sedan. Power nothing. Basics for the everyday person. Non-vtec motor.

LX - EG/EK sedan. Power windows/locks. No sunroof. Basics for the everyday person like the DX, but a bit more "luxury" in it. Usually, the same motor as the DX.

HX - 96-98 (EK) coupe only. Newer version of the previous "VX". Economy based, 40+ mpgs. Power windows/locks.

EX - EG/EK coupe/sedans. Power everything/sunroof. Vtec motor. Faster than the others below it on paper.

SI - EG hatchback and 99-00 EK coupe only. See below
- EG hatchback - same motor as EX version. Only hatchback to come with a sunroof factory. Only EG to come with 4 wheel disc brakes standard I believe. (EX's had the option, but it is rare to find)
- EK 99-00 coupe - Came in red, black, or blue only. Came with a DOHC 1.6L motor compared to all the others above with a SOHC). Made more power etc. Only EK to come with 4 wheel disc brakes standard (no option on others)

I think I got the point across.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:29 AM
HCF Member

LOL yeh i googled it but not much info came back...i google like no other lol. But yeh i thought they was chassis codes but wasnt sure. I keep seeign all this talk about EG an EK this i thought i was missing something. thanks for the heads up

Old 12-19-2011, 07:17 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
(EX's had the option [disc brakes], but it is rare to find)
This little fact makes me regret parting with mine even more :/