General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Civic with Integra engine, buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 04:13 AM
HCF Member
Default Civic with Integra engine, buy?

Ironically, Mr. Originality (me) has found a slick little 96 Civic coupe with a B18C1 engine installed in it, and I am actually thinking about buying this car. It runs really well.

I have a couple of questions though. The CEL comes on, and there is a connector that is not hooked up on the top of the engine. I haven't ever messed with much swapping of non-original configurations, but I am always willing to learn new things. After reading this forum for awhile it doesn't seem so insurmountable to expect the car to run well, and still be in specifications for emissions testing.

So question #1: Has anyone successfully installed a B18C1 into this vintage of a Civic and gotten everything to hook up so there is no CEL and the sensors are all engaged and happily doing their job? Does it require a new harness? If so, which one?

Question #2: There is a connector on or near the intake that is not connected (I will try to attach a couple of pictures). Any idea on what this is/does? Could this be the cause of the CEL? I can't get a bunch of codes off of the car right now, because I don't own it and have only test driven it. I just wanted to test the waters here and see what I may be up against.

I have added some pictures, I hope, to an album entitled "1996 Civic with Acura engine"

Thanks for the help, I never would have entertained even the idea without this forum.

Ed Fisher
Dallas, Tx

Old 08-18-2008, 06:19 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

lol, vintage

This swap has been done a million times, and yes, it can run without CEL's or other issues if installed, and cared for correctly. It doesn't sound to me like the swap was done correctly, however.

Best way to go would be to run the B18C1 Engine Wiring Harness, to ensure all connectors are attached to their respective sensors.

I looked at your pics. I would start by pulling off those two breather filter things, and connect those ports with a vacuum line.

As for the sensor, I am not familiar enough with B swaps to help in that department. What I can tell you is that D-Series motors do not have that sensor. I would guess that they're still running the D-Harness, which is why that sensor has no connector.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:41 PM
HCF Member

The only sensor in that area that ive personally heard about that could throw a CEL is maybe something to do with the charcoal sensor.
It might just not have b/c you don't need one, or one of the vacuum lines could just be un-attached. I have that swap in my 93 and I don't have one (96 B series not vintage btw)

Idk that just my two cents but i could be totally wrong

Old 08-19-2008, 03:38 AM
HCF Member

Thank you for the replies. I may have to do some checking on an Acura site.