General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Civic Si. How is it in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Default Civic Si. How is it in the snow?

Still new to the Si... and I'm wondering how it is going to be in the snow. I can already tell it's gonna take some gentle feathering in of the clutch if I hope to do anything but sit there and spin.

Does the VSA help at all on pulling away from a standstill? Is it of any benefit for traction control in snow? Or, for that matter, on wet pavement?

Thanks for any insights and experience.

Mike

Old 10-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: Civic Si. How is it in the snow?

Get some nice snow tires, don't dump the clutch and you won't have anything to worry about

Old 10-17-2007, 10:57 AM

shouldnt be a very big deal. both VSA and traction control units will help out a little. it'll just take some fenesse with the clutch/gas to get the car going in icy situations.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:18 AM

The Si came with low profile tires. Snow tires would be a little pricey. I guess be very easy on the clutch and gas and I'll find out from experience how low profile tires combined with an Si perform in the snow. Not much sidewall on the tires to get any tread lugs out there for grip.

Ice I don't even deal with. Park it, call in to work, and wait for warmer weather. One chain reaction collision on ice was enough for me. Hell, I don't even walk on the stuff if I can avoid it.

Bar none, the best care for snow and ice I ever had was a 1967 Dodge Dart slant six with snow tires on the rear that had tungsten carbide studs. Now that I would take on ice. It could cut grooves in concrete in the summer.

Mike P.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:40 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Get a set of steel wheels and snow tires. Always always always run either four snow tires, or none, on a front drive car.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:53 AM
Recognized HCF Member

try and stay in higher gears so the engine doesnt try to rev fast and cause your tires to spin. snow tires are nice to

Old 10-17-2007, 12:24 PM

Hmm. Steel wheels and a set of four snow tires. Much as I hate to think about it, that may be the way to go.

Thanks guys.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:37 PM
HCF Member

Winter beater.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:49 PM
mxs
HCF Member

Big sale at Discount Tire this week, $100 off 4 tires, $100 off 4 wheels, and free shipping. Check it out http://www.discounttiredirect.com/

Old 10-17-2007, 12:53 PM
HCF Member

- FWD with a 5 speed manual is great in the snow,don't have to use your breaks(that's where most people screw up driving on snow)downshift to slow down,won't need snow tires as long as you got some all weather tread. For the best donuts remember to pull the emergency break after turning the wheel sharply[8D]

Quick Reply: Civic Si. How is it in the snow?