General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Civic Si. How is it in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 12:57 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Civic Si. How is it in the snow?

i've got a 99 with 5 speed manual and snow tires and unless you're driving stupid, you really wont get stuck too much. Well, either driving stupid or trying to drive UP your driveway with 2 feet of sweet Michigan sticky snow [:'(]

where do you live at out of curiosity? Do yu guys got harsh winters?

Old 10-17-2007, 01:15 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: gocoho

- FWD with a 5 speed manual is great in the snow,don't have to use your breaks(that's where most people screw up driving on snow)downshift to slow down,won't need snow tires as long as you got some all weather tread. For the best donuts remember to pull the emergency break after turning the wheel sharply[8D]
But when you try to go into first even when you're holding the clutch down doesnt it grind?

Old 10-17-2007, 01:28 PM
HCF Member

You guys try to make it sound so easy, lol.
You must not have to drive in northern style winter weather very often.
We use chains bitch!

Old 10-17-2007, 04:58 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

You don't even know the meaning of a Harsh winter. Try living in Saskatchewan during the winter. minus 40 &a lotof snow... I can't wait!

Old 10-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member

we got 3 foot deep snows last year for a month straight and it took 4 months to totaly melt

Old 10-17-2007, 07:26 PM

I live in Missouri. Soon to be in KC. By most standards we do not have harsh winters. Just unpredicatable ones. Not a lot of snow most years, but enough to keep you on your toes. Nothing nearly like Michigan, Colorado, or Saskatchewan. If a Civic can make it through the winter gracefully in those places, then it will have no trouble in Missouri. My ex had family in Northern Minnesota and I did a lot of winter driving up there. Now that's winter.

We can count on a couple of ice storms but, as I wrote earlier, I don't do ice.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:40 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: Masonn

You don't even know the meaning of a Harsh winter. Try living in Saskatchewan during the winter. minus 40 & a lot of snow... I can't wait!
Flip lives in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, which is also where i grew up. Trust me, we don't need lectures on winter conditions

I for one can't wait for it to snow! This is how I'll be plowing my driveway...

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b15/nhmtns/?action=view¤t=7c99b2e9.pbr

Old 10-18-2007, 03:49 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Forty04

ORIGINAL: Masonn

You don't even know the meaning of a Harsh winter. Try living in Saskatchewan during the winter. minus 40 & a lot of snow... I can't wait!
Flip lives in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, which is also where i grew up. Trust me, we don't need lectures on winter conditions

I for one can't wait for it to snow! This is how I'll be plowing my driveway...

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b15/nhmtns/?action=view¤t=7c99b2e9.pbr
whaaaat! looks just like my mom haha (she's got an Outback and theres quite a few days she has to do that every winter)

and ruhdwulf, i wouldnt say gracefully, but i imagine you'll be just fine

Old 10-18-2007, 05:15 AM

The UP. Yup. That's a winter.

We had a rain yesterday after a long dry spell. The water and oil on the roads, plus some nicely ground up leaves, made for some slick spots in some areas. I looked for the slickest, oiliest, most mulched place I could find. My driveway.A second gear start wasa simple and effective solution to wheel spin.

Who says you have to start in first? It's not like the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

Thou shalt start in first, not starting in second. Thou shalt move thy stick shift from first to second, not pausing nor grinding. Never shalt thou miss, pause, nor grind for it is offensive to thy Lord. Thou shalt proceed to third, counting as thou hast gone: first, second, third. This shall be the order of thy counting and thy shifting. Skip not thy gears. Proceedest thou with haste to thy fourth gear, the commandment of thy counting. Thy fifth gear beckons thee. Assail it in the order of its natural progression. Thou shalt now reach thy goal, thy pinnacle, thy Grail. Thou shalt slippest thou into sixth gear so that the order of they counting and shifting has been first, second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth and God shall smile on thee and clear thy road.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:38 AM

Hey man, I have a modified hatch and last year I got stuck in our work parking lot after it was plowed. I suggest winter ipike tires from hankook. I put them on and I'm in wisconsin. I haven't had any problems yet! I was passing 4wd suvs at lights! They are studdable tires and I'm running the inside treadblock with studs (so the cops can't see them) only and no traction problems whatsoever!

Quick Reply: Civic Si. How is it in the snow?