General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

coilovers or lowering springs

Old 10-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Default coilovers or lowering springs

i have a 2010 civic lx all street and i want to lower my car 1 inch or 2. should i buy coil overs? and if i do what else do i need? camber kits? and if i buy lowering springs do i need to buy shocks as well?

Old 10-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Super Cereal Admin

It really depends on your needs. You can easily lower 1-2" with standard lowering springs, but if you live in an area with heavy snows, driving a lowered car in the winter can be a chore. If that's the case, being able to raise the car back up to near-stock height with coilovers would be convenient (though you'd have to get an alignment every time you changed the ride height).

When lowering, it's usually a good idea to change out the struts to stronger units that can take increased spring rates; Tein H- and S-tech springs (~1" drop and ~2" drop respectively) retain close-to-stock spring rates, so increased wear and tear on the stock struts might still be an issue, but not nearly as much as most other lowering springs. The general idea behind swapping the struts and springs at the same time is you'll only have to take the suspension apart once (as opposed to just swapping springs and having to replace a leaking strut later down the road).

Lowering 1-2", you probably won't have too many issues getting it aligned; your camber will be too far negative to be brought back to factory specifications, but generally with that small of a drop, the camber shouldn't destroy your tires. If you just have a 4-wheel toe alignment you should maintain relatively good tire wear.

Oh, and if it hasn't already been mentioned, welcome to the forums

Old 10-11-2010, 02:32 PM

wow thanks i needed that, so if i buy lowering springs what else do i need to buy? a camber kit? what? thanks again for your help

Old 10-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Technically you won't need a camber kit. The ride height you're after won't induce enough negative camber to cause tire wear problems, so if you just throw the lowering springs on and have the toe aligned back to factory specs you should be fine.

Like I said, if you get the Tein S-Techs or H-Techs, you probably won't have any problem using the stock struts. If you go with a more aggressive (stiffer) spring, you're going to want to upgrade the struts.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:17 PM
HCF Member

It also depends on how much money you have....

An Adjustable Coilover kit is gonna be a lot more than some lowering springs and struts

Old 10-11-2010, 03:24 PM

you guys know any good sites for me to order from and that have 650 - 800$ coilover kits. right now im looking at megan coilovers with pillow ball mounts but there 850 -.-

Old 10-11-2010, 03:45 PM
HCF Member

^ not anything thats good. That's about the lowest price you'll find on adjustable coiovers

Old 10-11-2010, 04:06 PM

im just going to go with lowering springs because i live in san diego and theres no much terrain to go through its all roads. i looked up tein lowering spings and the year only goes up to civic 2006-2000 is it okay to buy those years? or should i look for something closer? and does it matter if its for an si?

Old 10-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Didn't realize Tein hasn't come out with the 06+ springs yet. Let me do a little digging on this.

And I don't believe the 01-05 springs will fit the 06+ cars.

*edit: Tein USA's web sight is showing both the H-Tech and S-Tech springs for the 06+ Civic. I think you can order directly from Tein's web site if need be. And yes, it being an Si makes a difference, as does 2dr/4dr.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:11 PM

thanks man,

http://www.advancespeedshop.com/tein...00-p-2529.html

i found that but i never heard of the site so yeah

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: coilovers or lowering springs