General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

cold weather problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 04:32 AM
HCF Member
Default cold weather problems

It’s been anywhere from 20-30 degrees Fahrenheit outside lately. This isn’t a Civic-related question per say, but I thought someone might know the answer since it is a “part” of the car I guess you could say. It’s my CD deck. This is my Civic’s first winter, and I don’t know if the guy who owned it before drove it during the winter or not. It’s not like it’s a classic car and I don’t think he had a second car anyway, so I don't know why he wouldn't have driven it. I know the cold weather is causing this problem because it’s never done this before, but I’ll turn the deck on and all the lights on the player will go out or flicker at first. I’ll start pressing volume buttons and trying to change the radio stations and nothing will work. Sometimes it will just plain shut off after I’ve turned it on. After I’ve driven for a while, usually it will start up again and start functioning normally. Besides the fact that the cold is causing the problem, what’s the deal? I mean, why does cold weather have any effect on a CD player? Thanks.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:45 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: cold weather problems

it just does.LOL

ive had the same problem with several cd players.... in the realy cold the displays dont want to work VERY SLOW to respond.....

its just to cold for the internals, just crank the heat up for a bit and after its kinda warmed up it should work perfectly.... nothing to worry about......

Old 11-28-2007, 06:46 AM

It would help to know if you have a factory deck or an aftermarket, and which one.

But, generally, the answer to your question is no. It's -9F here right now, and my deck has no problems. On all my last vehicles, I've had my aftermarket AND factory decks working to -22F. So I don't think the cold has anything to do with it. Especially not 30F.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:19 PM
HCF Member

it was -30 this morning and mine was fine. Like addiction said, the display was slow at first... but it warmed up within a couple minutes.