General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

comments on the new 06 civic

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 11:44 PM
Default comments on the new 06 civic

i have a 2000 civic ex and was looking into getting another civic maybe an 06. Just wonderin what u guys think any help is appreciated!
oh and im in the toledo ohio area anyone near me

Old 01-22-2006, 08:44 PM
Default RE: comments on the new 06 civic

I purchased one about 6 weeks ago and so far i love it! I has plenty of power and is extreamly well built! If you would like to know more just reply back or email me

Old 01-22-2006, 09:46 PM
HCF Member

^^^ What he said ^^^

Old 01-24-2006, 09:27 AM

I have an 06 EX Sedan. I love it. Its not particularly fast till the VTEC kicks in around 4200rpm, but then its WAAYYY more powerful than the older Civic EXs. Feels far more similar to the Acura TSX (Yeah i know thats the Accord) in performance and handling than to a previous generation Civic as well. The only down side is there are no mods available yet for it from what I have seen.......but if anyone can offer suggestions on that Im all ears?!?!?

Old 01-24-2006, 07:15 PM

Personally (this is coming from a guy who never has had a new car and doesn't plan on buying one anytime soon) I think the new car looks cool, it's nice that they got their head out of their *** and finally gave the Si the real-deal VTEC engine, but then again, it's a sad day when a Civic is pushing 2900lbs. That's 750 more than my 91 hatch, when it still had AC.

If I wanted something in that range, I'd buy a used Prelude, frankly. More horsepower, the aftermarket's been there for years, and wishbones all around. I still don't know how the beancounters figured that it would be cheaper to design a new suspension for the Civic rather than carry over it's already-excellent wishbones-at-all-corners setup.

Sadly, because while I started out as a domestic car guy I eventually became hooked on imports, the pendulum is swinging back in the direction of Detroit. While the new Mustang GT didn't impress me - I'd rather have an STi for the money, same horsepower/torque but no live rear axle - and the Challenger concept is too damn big, I'm drooling over the new Camaro concept. Sacriledge in this forum, yes, but what made the import cars destroy musclecars in the first place was A) light weight, and B) the fact that anything of note that Detroit put out besides unobtanium like the Vette and Viper was saddled with a live rear axle.

That's no longer the case, and while a four and fwd are fine for a low-2000's (weight) car, once you get to 3000lbs fwd becomes a 'why bother?' in my book. The new Camaro will be packing 400hp and the CTS-V's rear suspension, along with the GTO's front suspension, not to mention big tires, wheels, and brakes to match. It's essentially what I always wanted to build - a six-speed, LS-powered, independant-reared first generation Camaro, only this one will be tighter (the chassis won't be 35+ years old) and won't cost more than a new Vette. It'll likely be around 3600 lbs, but a 350Z isn't exactly an Elise, either. For the same amount of money, an extra hundred hp and lb/ft. Hopefully, they won't repeat the mistake of the GTO and tune the suspension for barcalounger-loving baby boomers, although Rhys Millen isn't exactly complaining.

I don't know - the thing I love about my hatch is that it has everything I want - light weight, great suspension, good utility, EFI - and nothing I don't - OBD anything, tons of electronic bull**** that only ends up causing problems. It's basically the Chevy Nova of my generation - cheap to buy and build and get results with. The car you were 'stuck with' could become something you won't want to sell.

I don't know - I've been seeing this trend for a while. I noticed it when I was into VWs - the newer Jettas seemed like really nice cars until you found out that they were 3200lbs with a twist-beam rear suspension. The whole thing that was great about the sport compact revolution was centered on early 90's cars that offered up enough technology - both in terms of their drivetrains and chassis/suspension - to beat up on the guy down the block with the mullet and "bitchin' Camaro" that, even a Chevy guy like me had to eventually admit wasn't all that special. Now it seems that the imports keep getting porkier and porkier, and now Detroit has finally started to pull it's head out of it's *** and do what it should have done 15 years ago. It's going to be interesting to watch, but I think more and more (build quality concerns aside, but hey, Mitsubishi never hit the same level of refinement as Nissan, Toyota, or Honda, and there are plenty of diamond-star fans out there) it's going to come down to esthetics - what really turns you on as a car guy, and not just 8mpg vs 38mpg anymore.

Damn, that turned into a rant, didn't it! Whoops...

--<M13>--

Old 01-24-2006, 08:34 PM

Go for the Si, buts thats just me.

Old 01-25-2006, 12:06 AM

i agree with BallardCivic, go for an si. and if your going to buy a new car you should shop around. not all dealers offer the same prices. use www.cars.com to ask for a quote. i love driving around in my 06 si.

Old 01-25-2006, 12:22 AM
HCF Member

I really like the looks of them.

Old 01-25-2006, 09:15 AM

ORIGINAL: BallardCivic

Go for the Si, buts thats just me.
Definately. I used to look at performance models like the Si and thought, 'hey, I'd rather buy a base model and hot-rod it.' It's worth it to get the performance model, especially nowadays when companies are actually paying attention to things like brakes that they used to just skim over. Buying the lamer commuter-friendly model, and deciding later that you want to go fast is going to cost you more in the end.

Old 01-25-2006, 02:21 PM
HCF Member

I don't know - I've been seeing this trend for a while. I noticed it when I was into VWs - the newer Jettas seemed like really nice cars until you found out that they were 3200lbs with a twist-beam rear suspension.

Dont forget VW's redefine 'electical nightmare'

Quick Reply: comments on the new 06 civic