General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Considering buying a Honda Civic Or Corolla

Old 08-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Default Considering buying a Honda Civic Or Corolla

What would be some pros of getting a 2007 honda civic vs a 2007 or 2008 Toyota Corolla?

Does The civic get better gasmileag? According to Fueleconomy.gov the Civic gets worse gas mileage but the sticker on the window at the dealership says 30 to 40 and corolla's was 30 to 38

Are the 2007's Honda Civics as good as the old ones, is there a certain year civic thats best?

Do Honda Civics compare to Toyota in terms of Reliability? Toyotas are known to go up to atleast 250K I am wondering if a Honda will generally do the same if regular oil change and maintencen are performed.

What about the DOHC VTEC engine? I hear its in preludes and CRX's if it was such a great idea then they wouldnt stop making it right?

Whats the Honda Civic going to give me a Corolla will not?

Old 08-01-2007, 02:40 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Considering buying a Honda Civic Or Corolla

the dohc vtec motors are in many cars, and the preludes and crx's haven't been built in over a decade, they are very old motor platforms. the new 07 civics use completely different everything. when shopping for a car, it's up to you really, don't go on anyone else's opinion, because you might regret it. the civic is an excellent choice, as is the corolla, but really it boils down to what style you like, how much you're willing to pay, and what manufacturer.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:41 PM

well as for the gas milage are you looking to get manual or auto? if you get a manual they are usually about $1000 dollars cheaper than autos and you can usually get better gas mileage. and as far as i know toyotas and hondas reliability is about the same. just take car of your car and it will take care of you. hondas will go 250k easily if you just change the oil and air filters and stuff.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:55 PM

Im not going by peoples opinions, i came here so people could provide facts that would try to sway my opinion on which car is better

and I'm doing the same on Corolla boards....

What speed do Civics redline at vss Corollas and what are there top speeds

Old 08-01-2007, 03:36 PM
HCF Member

I do know this. Civics have larger interiors than Corollas. If jamming lots of big things into your car (which may or may not include passengers) is important, I would choose the Civic.

If you want a good VTEC model, go for the Civic EX or SI. It uses the performance VTEC, like what was on the CRX and Si cars, but on a new engine. SI model has better suspension and a 6-speed manual gearbox.

The DX/LX/all other X except EX models use the new R18 i-VTEC which is designed for good fuel economy, and has lots of electromechanic wizardry to provide the fuel economy of a smaller engine while still performing like a bigger engine.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:37 PM

oh, if ya get an auto, you will only get a 4 speed auto in the corolla, its a 5 speed in civic. redline starts at 6300 rpm til about 6800. more than enough to do any kinda daily driving.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:38 PM
HCF Member

Good point. That extra gear does help when accelerating, believe me.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:48 PM
Super Cereal Admin

top speeds? What's it matter? You're not going to find many new cars that don't have a govener. I'm not sure about the new civics, but in the older generations, civics' governers were usually set in the neighborhood of 116-120-ish. I've had my '94 ex up to a little under120a fewtimes (and it's an auto), so I imagine that the new civics could go quite a bit faster. And I have no clue about the corolla's top speed, but I have a hunch it has a governer too.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:55 PM

I just went through this same comparison and ended up with a Civic. Differences in reliability and fuel economy are minimal. The Corolla is probably quieter, but may not handle as well as the Civic. The Corolla seems to sit higher off the ground...more like the economy car that it is. The Civic seems lower, and more sportier.

The Civic may enjoy a better resale value down the road. According to Consumer Reports, acceleration on both is comparable. I don't have a way to offer an opinion on that. The crash ratings were stronger in the Civic. Corollas don't necessarily come with side airbag curtains.

The clincher for me, besides the fact that I've bought 4 Hondas in a row, was the way their interiors compared. I found the seating in the Corolla to be more awkward with less legroom in the front.

Either way, you can't go wrong. They're probably the two most reliable cars ever built.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:21 PM
HCF Member

Drive a corolla, it handles like ****. My aunt has one and I've driven it. It has better acceleration and power than my '94 Civic LX but my 94' LX still handles better with its ****ty suspension. Also, Corolla doesn't make a two door and the Civic coupe looks quite nice. The Civic Si will eat any Corolla alive. There really isn't a Civic Si equivalent for the Corolla. There is a Corolla S and some of the older models were sporty but from what I've seen at autos.yahoo.com, the Corolla S uses the same engine as the other corollas. The only difference is that the Corolla S has a spoiler, body/lip kit, and a sunroof.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Considering buying a Honda Civic Or Corolla