General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Considering buying a Honda Civic Or Corolla

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 10:14 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Considering buying a Honda Civic Or Corolla

ORIGINAL: MacHonda

I just went through this same comparison and ended up with a Civic. Differences in reliability and fuel economy are minimal. The Corolla is probably quieter, but may not handle as well as the Civic. The Corolla seems to sit higher off the ground...more like the economy car that it is. The Civic seems lower, and more sportier.

The Civic may enjoy a better resale value down the road. According to Consumer Reports, acceleration on both is comparable. I don't have a way to offer an opinion on that. The crash ratings were stronger in the Civic. Corollas don't necessarily come with side airbag curtains.

The clincher for me, besides the fact that I've bought 4 Hondas in a row, was the way their interiors compared. I found the seating in the Corolla to be more awkward with less legroom in the front.

Either way, you can't go wrong. They're probably the two most reliable cars ever built.
As for reliability... Hondas have always been known to be reliable... Toyota's reliability has gone up a lot and there is very little difference in the two companies. I think they are pretty much equal in terms of functionality and features except for the suspension and handling department. Hondas have always been sporty and racing-minded.

Corollas from my experience have been much quieter too. I'm not sure why that is. Not sure if it's the engine that quieter or the sound proofing is better. Honda engines are widely regarded as one of the best engines in the world. Maybe quieter doesn't always make them better quality. If anyone knows the answer, I'd like to hear it.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:41 AM
HCF Member

My significant other has an '06 Corolla LE automatic. I have an '06 Civic LX manual. We both get similar mileage (35-38) and there are more similarities than differences. If you want to save money buy the Corolla, if you want the added features (side air bags, ABS, adjustable steering column, etc.) and are willing to pay the grand or so more then get the Civic. As mentioned above if you are older you will probablyprefer the Corolla, if you are younger you will like the Civic. You will not go wrong with either one.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:57 PM

yeah, corrolla is only a 4 door, and it has the same size motor, with less power and torque, as well as doesn't come with disc brakes all around.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:31 PM
HCF Member

are you even considering the si, or just the ex, lx and dx models?

i'm asking because the si, in my opinion, outclasses the corolla in every department, maybe just a little less mpg, like around 32

Old 08-04-2007, 03:57 PM

THE COROLLA S IS A GIRL CAR!!!

i test drove a corolla s and all it has is looks it drives like ****. as for the civic you cant go wrong with it. for one it'll last waaaaaaaaaaaay longer. then i drove the 07 and i was blown away spend the extra money and get the civ. cant ever go wrong with a honda.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:13 PM

Very true the corolla is a little girly but if you want something that is less sporty and lookssimple(if your older)then go for toyota, but on the other hand the civic looks good, is sporty and you'll get more looks when driving the civic rather than the corolla cuz there are a million of those things.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:52 AM

Corolla's are boring/reliable. Civic's are much sportier. I have a new Civic Si sedan, NBP 6 speed is standard.

But this car doesn't get great MPG. But its made for high rpm's. Redline is 8,000. If you drive it nice, you get

decent MPG, but nothing like an Civic LX 5 speed. If your looking for great MPG go for a stripped Civic manual,

or get a Toyota Prius... If you want a fun car and want decent MPG, get a Civic Si. I prefer the sedan over

the coupe. But thats MY OPINION. Good luck. Jeff D.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:19 PM

i looked at both, and decided on a Civic LX 2008.
the corolla is a little cheaper and window stickers said the corolla got a 1 or 2 more mpg
but personally i think the corolla is pretty ugly-- very plain and the civic lx 2 door is very good looking.
i think the civic will hold it's resale value better. and i barely fit in the corolla, i fit much better in the civic [head room] i like the telescoping steering wheel, the mp3 port,
i have heard that honda's are esay to find stock parts or and aftemarket
I like my HONDA--

Old 02-04-2008, 10:46 PM
HCF Member

And in this whole discussion don't overlook the Subaru Impreza and Outback, comparable to the Civics; nor the Mazdas 3 and 5. Subarus are the only cars which MAY have even slightly better reliabilty than Honda. They also have the "Boxer" engine which works the same as Vtec. Subaru and Honda seem to entering a price war in Canada at least. Subarus' resale value is almost as good as Honda's. Mazdas are.. fussy, frequently sounding like they'e about to blow their engine though that's how they are SUPPOSED to sound. Mazda has considerably poorer resale than Honda but are cheaper to start with.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:05 AM

You made the right choice.

At the price range, it's nice. However, I couldn't see myself going back and spending less money and buying anything other than an EX unless I wanted manual which would end up being an Si.

Still a nice car though.

Quick Reply: Considering buying a Honda Civic Or Corolla