General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Considering a Civic...what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 02:07 AM
Default Considering a Civic...what to look for?

So after caring for my 4th gen Camaro like it was my own child, and it still blowing its engine, I'm officially done with American cars. Also, with gas going over $4 a gallon, I can no longer deal with the terrible gas mileage.

So I've decided to start my search for a 7th gen Civic, and was wondering a few things I should look for when buying a used one.

Whats an average mile range for a 7th gen? What are the most typical problems that arise and what are the things that should be replaced first?

Been browsing CL for a few weeks now, saw what I thought were some good deals, but didn't want to pull the trigger without doing my research.

One that has really been intriguing me is a Civic HX, which I understand is the best Civic in terms of MPG, yet in the ad it mentions: "now the only thing wrong with the car is when you take off from a stand still it jerks real hard and it shifts perfect after that"

Is this something that can be fixed easily or is this Civic on the way toward needing a new transmission?

Any help that anyone could give would be nice

Old 05-02-2011, 03:37 AM
HCF Member

Well when buying any USED car you should look for leaks BEFORE & AFTER you start the car..AND after you test drive it for a few miles.
Check for any cut/cracked wires in the engine bay, Check the dash for any signs of something wrong(Oil light not going off, Check engine light stays on, etc..).
If you really wanna get down to the nitty-gitty..you can check everything yourself like all the bushings & what's under the valve cover.
Also when testing driving check for ANY kinds of jerks..that means a transmission issue is happening or ABOUT to happen. Make hard & soft stops..and accelerate hard & soft to see if there's anything wrong with it. Don't go for the.."Well the car been acting like that for years & I drove it without any problems." bit.
They a dealer(private or not) will say all kinds of things to sell a car.