General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Correct way to drive a manual transmission vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 08:19 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Correct way to drive a manual transmission vehicle?

oopps... i forgot that point.LOL and the price of gas the way it is... by the time ya wear out the brakes gas shoulda saved enough to buy new pads.LOL

Old 03-23-2007, 09:31 PM

don't hold the clutch in when your sitting at the light it wears the pressure plate and throwout bearing.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:11 AM
HCF Member

I've always shifted it into neutral and coasted, but sometimes takes a little bit longer to brake. When you downshift the tranny helps you, and gives you less wear on your brakes.

So in my opinion, it depends how far your from the stop.

Old 03-24-2007, 08:31 PM
HCF Member

I usually only downshift when the roads are slick, like freezing rain or snow. Or am going too fast and need a little extra help to slow down. Other than that I coast often, true more wear on the brakes but like previously said, harder on the engine, especially when you down shift at too high a speed......ouch!

Old 03-24-2007, 08:37 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i can say ive only downshifted maybe twice when i drove my crx for about 4months.LOL tho it was due to slowing down alot due to people infront of me... but never to just stop...
not sure if ya actualy call that downshifting. LMFAO
my dad never taught me any tricks to driving a stick... so for the longest time i would keep it in first gear and just play with the clutch pedal to keep it stoped at a light with a small hill...... WOOPS.... i had to have put quite a bit of wear on that clutch.LOL then i got smart and just used the Ebrake

Old 03-24-2007, 08:58 PM
HCF Member

Your saying that for awhile when you came to a stop at a light, you never put the clutch in and the brake? I do that sometimes if I'm lazy....have the clutch partly in and giving it a lil gas. but thats crazy all the time lol.

sometimes when I put it in neutral I also put the clutch in....? habit I guess. I think everyone burns the clutch a lil bit no matter how good you are. I hate at launch when my car stammers abit with a bog then I take off. So I burn it a lil bit. You think thats just a problem with my clutch? Or are most honda's like that.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:06 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ef4life

don't hold the clutch in when your sitting at the light it wears the pressure plate and throwout bearing.
Whoa..... wait are you serious? How can that be if your idling and fully stopped?

It's got to be natural wear though. I think most people do that method, other would be leave in neutral, light turns green put in gear and go right.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Live_4it

ORIGINAL: ef4life

Whoa..... wait are you serious? How can that be if your idling and fully stopped?

It's got to be natural wear though. I think most people do that method, other would be leave in neutral, light turns green put in gear and go right.
he's right, if ur sitting at a light or w/e, dont hold the clutch pedal in for more than a few seconds. if u do, it can cause overheating of the clutch and wear ur clutch out faster.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:45 PM
HCF Member

wow,man I'm gonna have a hard time get'n rid of that habit....

Old 03-24-2007, 10:06 PM
HCF Member

i down shift into my stops for the most part... even though i know that it wears the tranny down. It's just a habit that i have... i only coast to a stop about 30% of the time

Quick Reply: Correct way to drive a manual transmission vehicle?