General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Correct way to drive a manual transmission vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 11:48 PM
Default RE: Correct way to drive a manual transmission vehicle?

screw downshifting.. just chuck it into "N" and wear them breaks away.... downshifting requires more work... and then you will get RSI and die!.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:07 AM
HCF Member

downshifting to come to a complete stop is a waste of energy and tranny gears. it's technically called "compression braking" and when you downshift to a lower gear to slow down, but it's rediculously hard on a transmission, especially if you screw up the shift.

just snap it into neutral.

as for leaving the clutch pedal in at stop lights. don't do it. you have clutch springs that are tiny and wear out real fast if you leave your foot on the clutch at stop lights AND while driving.

so leave your foot off the clutch unless you're actually shifting because dead pedals are there for a reason...

Old 03-25-2007, 01:23 AM
HCF Member

yeah, i know that you guys are right and all, but for some reason i jut got into the habit when i started to drive.... after i read this thread earlier, i tried slowing down without downshifting..... imma keep doing it until i get it down.... unless i have to break rreally hard, then i'll downshift......

Old 03-25-2007, 08:11 AM

You lot such a bunch of wags O how I laughed when I read some of the reply 's....... neutral ......coast to a stop....... clutch wear ect ect
I guess when the civic was built with a manual transmission Honda used 2nd rate bits in the gear box and drive line ? if so I am sure the civic will not be used for long as the gear box ect will be all used up
The tranny was made designed and built to use as a secondary brake slow down system its made to shift up and down and have the clutch held in at lights et all, no not upshift and scream the engine like a racer coming into a corner just be in the right gear for the right road speed, I don't think automatic transmission drivers knock there cars into N when they get to a light, they don't as I have ever seen. But is is why they pull up to your bumper at the light on a hill they dont have to move it out of gear but they do have the trannsmission doing what a manual transmission does by helping with breaking and being able to go asap without ant type of clutch in select the right gear for speed of car etc its done as the car is doing it for them you on the other hand have to make the right gear selection and you should be in gear at all times so as to be in control.
But like I said I think you lot are having a bit of a joke winding each other up?

Old 03-25-2007, 08:17 AM
HCF Member

automatic transmissions don't have to shift into neutral because they're gears are always in a constant state of slip to a certain degree.

pwnt...

Old 03-25-2007, 08:28 AM

But that will cause wear OMG....... point is you are supposed to shift up and down the box not to coast it dangerous to a degree and better for you to have of control over the cars speed than have the "O ****" moment when its not in gear and not moving.
By the way whats pwnt

Old 03-25-2007, 08:53 AM
HCF Member

and automatic transmissions nevAr wear out...

pwnt.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:25 AM

ORIGINAL: drbyers

and automatic transmissions nevAr wear out...

pwnt.
They do as does every thing but never mind to each there own

Old 03-25-2007, 10:49 AM
HCF Member

Everything wears and everything is built to take a certain amount of wear. Saying its ok to sit at a light holding your clutch in cause it can take wear is just as stupid as saying you can sit at a light and rev your engine constantly cause it can take wear. Just because something can take wear doesnt mean you have to inflict it.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:45 PM
HCF Member

no one said the stock tranny couldn't handle it...it's a preventative measure to help maintain the life of your vehicle. If you would like to downshift everytime you come to a stop go right ahead, just know it's harder on your tranny than shifting to neutral and leaving it there, which also keeps you from having to hold down the clutch at a light and put wear on the throwout bearing. Also, those of you who talk about using compression braking as added stopping power? come on guys, regardless of whether you're in gear or not, the brakes are powerful enough to skid the tires and what limits stopping distance is tire adhesion, not brakes really (lets not get into breaking power front to rear cuz compression braking would only help front anyway, and the brakes are enough to skid those for sure.) The only instance where compression braking MIGHT be better for your car is long stretches of downhill to keep from riding the brakes, and even there we're only talking about like 3k rpm's. okay im done. And please, scubadoguk, drop the comparisons with automatics, i don't want to get in a torque converter conversation as well and i have a feeling that's where the discussions with comparisons would end up. Ok, now i'm really done.

Quick Reply: Correct way to drive a manual transmission vehicle?