General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Correct way to drive a manual transmission vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 01:57 PM
Default RE: Correct way to drive a manual transmission vehicle?

ORIGINAL: mybrokenblinker

no one said the stock tranny couldn't handle it...it's a preventative measure to help maintain the life of your vehicle. If you would like to downshift everytime you come to a stop go right ahead, just know it's harder on your tranny than shifting to neutral and leaving it there, which also keeps you from having to hold down the clutch at a light and put wear on the throwout bearing. Also, those of you who talk about using compression braking as added stopping power? come on guys, regardless of whether you're in gear or not, the brakes are powerful enough to skid the tires and what limits stopping distance is tire adhesion, not brakes really (lets not get into breaking power front to rear cuz compression braking would only help front anyway, and the brakes are enough to skid those for sure.) The only instance where compression braking MIGHT be better for your car is long stretches of downhill to keep from riding the brakes, and even there we're only talking about like 3k rpm's. okay im done. And please, scubadoguk, drop the comparisons with automatics, i don't want to get in a torque converter conversation as well and i have a feeling that's where the discussions with comparisons would end up. Ok, now i'm really done.
[sm=owned.gif]

Old 03-25-2007, 02:50 PM

If you use the power breaking techniquewhen coming to a stop, how long should you expecta clutch to last?--miles or km. (looking for #'s)

I recently replaced the clutch in my 95 Toyota after 320,000km; using this method of driving, I want to know how long a Civic can go.

(I find you can extend the life of your breaks driving like this...the only time I slip the car in to neutral is tostopduring excessively bad rain or slushy snow)

Old 03-25-2007, 03:01 PM
HCF Member

it's actually better to have a little overdrive ( car in lower gear) while the roads are bad (freezing rain, snow, lot of rain). You have more control over your car especially coming down hills. Instead of using your breaks and risking sliding out the back end and ending up in a gaurd rail or something. Your car will stay gripped to the road. Only under these conditions is it really necessary.

If you just replaced your clutch even if you do the clutch and break method it would prolly be atleast 75-100,000 miles. Downshifting excessively would wear them a little faster, especially if you do it at, or higher than 3 rpm's. Bad for engine and clutch/transmission. It's pretty much natural wear on a car. Everytime you drive your car it lowers the life of the engine and the car in general.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:24 PM
HCF Member

all good points^^

Old 03-25-2007, 11:44 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well... i think either way every has thier own way... but best way for people to learn is to find out whats bad....LOL

plus no one just changes thier driving habits over what someone says to do...LOL
its like saying... drive slower youll get beter milage..LMFAO ya got to WANT to get beter milage to get the mind set.LOL
hell i still cannt get that down... i cheap and floor it just being stupid...

thats kinda like my friend at work... she said her car was runing like crap.... so i replaced the plugs and wires on her car BUT her car ran fine when i drove it out to my house... only boged out when i slamed the gas.LOL just turned out to be bad plugs.. just worn to bad and couldnt get a good spark... she thought i was stupid saying that when i drove it i regularly i couldnt feel anything bad..... LMFAO shes a bad driver!!!!!!