General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

cost of 30k mile service

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 10:26 AM
Default cost of 30k mile service

Hi, I'm getting a 30k mile service on my Honda Civic 2005. They said that it costs 299$ for this service!? They're giving me a 10% "discount" because my family goes to this place for service, total bullsh!t. This is from a Honda Dealership in Knoxville, TN. I'm kinda wondering if this is normal for this service or are they trying to overcharge, this is my first time having this service and I feel like they're taking advantage of me. It just seems crazy expensive... what are dealerships are your place charging and is it a fair price?

Tried searching for this topic but couldn't find, hope i'm nor reposting.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:30 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: cost of 30k mile service

this is what they do at the 30,000 mile check up:

Replace engine oil. <- you should be able to do that yourself

Rotate tires (follow pattern on page 241 of your owner's manual). <-- this too

Inspect and adjust drive belts.

Replace air conditioning filter*3.

*3: See air conditioning filter on page 235 of your owner's manual for replacement information under special driving conditions.

Replace air cleaner element every 30,000 mi/48,000 km (independent of time).

Check engine oil and coolant at each fuel stop. <-- this too

Check and adjust valve clearance, cold engine, if noisy.

if you don't know how to do all this i still wouldnt recommend getting it done at the dealer.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:33 AM
HCF Member

30k sounds like oil, plugs/wire/cap/rotor, timing, fluids check, and the only real PITA- valve lash adjustment. Not worth 300 to me, but it's probably $120-150 in parts and 2 hours of work (depending on your proficiency). Do it yourself, it's a great way to get toknow your car.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:45 AM

thanks for the fast responses. I'm technically challenged when it comes to cars and just too lazy to get to know it I guess(i.e. I've always pay people to do my oil change, etc.) Any suggestion on "getting to know" my car, without screwing it up; like a newb guide or something? My Honda is only 2 years old so...I don't want to be messing with it and blowing it up or something

Old 07-26-2007, 10:46 AM
HCF Member

takea class at a community college. like a basic autoshop.

by the way what i wrote is EXACTLY what they do. i got that info from the honda website.

take it to a shop that you trust, not the dealership

Old 07-26-2007, 11:34 AM

thanks johnb, will take your advice and look into it

Old 07-26-2007, 03:37 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: hxh103

thanks for the fast responses. I'm technically challenged when it comes to cars and just too lazy to get to know it I guess(i.e. I've always pay people to do my oil change, etc.) Any suggestion on "getting to know" my car, without screwing it up; like a newb guide or something? My Honda is only 2 years old so...I don't want to be messing with it and blowing it up or something
The Factory Service Manual. It'll cover most kinds of work you might need to do. I'd start with simple things like checking the fluids, checking the tire pressure, inspecting belts and hoses, replacing the air filter and cabin filter, etc. Then progress to rotating tires, inspecting front brake pads and rotors, changing sparkplugs and plugwires, changing oil and filter, changing belts and hoses, testing voltage and resistance on circuits, etc. Then progress to replacing front brake pads and rotors, inspecting rear brake drums and shoes, checking timing, adjusting valves, replacing starter, replacing alternator, replacing battery, etc. Gradually build up your confidence and ability.