General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Damn oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 05:34 PM
HCF Member
Default Damn oil filter

welll i decided to do an oil change on my car today, all seemed well... until i tried to remove the oil filter....GAAAHHHH!!@!!111 for the love of god i could not get it to budge, i tried using an oilfilter wrench and still wouldn't budge... i spent an hour and 15 minutes trying to get it out but it wouldn't move i ended scratching some of the paint off of the filter but i don't think i damaged the metal, i eventually said "**** IT!!!!" and just dumped new oil into the car, now my concern isn't that i am still using an old filter i could care less right now, but when i scratched the paint on the filter, i heard from someone before that their oil filter was damaged when it was put on, and then exploded when they were driving down the highway... THAT is what i am afraid of...but i went for a drive today and got her up to 140kph and she seemed fine... and i am going home in a couple of weeks and i am just going to do a who;e oil change when i go home.... IF the filter doesnt explode

Old 03-26-2006, 05:43 PM
Default RE: Damn oil filter

how many miles do u have on the filter?? what kind is it? i suggest changing it whenever u get a chance, i dunno about it exploding but i doubt its good having a filter on for to long...

Old 03-26-2006, 06:29 PM
HCF Member

the filter has been on for a little over 5000Km's, so probably close to 3000 miles (not sure about the total) and it is a OEM honda one, i lastchanghed my oil at my stepfathers shop back home on PEI, and he orders all the filters from the dealer

Old 03-26-2006, 07:06 PM
Recognized HCF Member

a good rule of thumb when replacing your oil filter the next time.... Hand screw it on until it gets snug against the block and then go about 1/3 turn by hand and you are good to go... NEVER USE A TOOL TO TIGHTEN AN OIL FILTER. You can damge the oil seal and the whole filter

Old 03-26-2006, 07:49 PM
HCF Member

that is the funny thing riceburrner, everyone at my stepfathers shop never uses a wrench to put it on, only to remove it.... if i had access to underneith the car like when it is on a hioist, then i would have probably been able to get it off, but there is barely any room to move back there[:'(]

Old 03-26-2006, 07:56 PM
Recognized HCF Member

yeah they can get to be a b*tch to get off if they have some good miles on them

Old 03-26-2006, 09:30 PM
HCF Member

when you get access to a lift, you can just change the filter, and you dont need to drain the oil. and I would cut this change interval a little short. maybe 2k, even with a new filter in the next few hundred KMs. shouldnt really matter, but its really only a few bucks youre losing. plenty worth it.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:01 PM
HCF Member

You need to get yourself some nice oil change stuff. I have a 3 ton jack and a creeper. Makes the job SO much easier. The jack lifts the car a good 3 feet in the air.....and then ya just slide under it.....with jackstands of course.

Old 03-27-2006, 08:39 PM
HCF Member

well come this august i won't have to worry about haveing the proper tools for at least another 3 years, i will be moving back home and have full acces to my setpfather dealership/shop... and this oil change is going to be a short one, by the time i get to go home next and use the shop it should be close to 2000kms

Old 03-27-2006, 08:41 PM

get a screw driver, spear the filter through and turn it till it comes off. it is messy but works

Quick Reply: Damn oil filter