General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

dealership charging for something under warranty

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 08:53 PM
HCF Member
Default dealership charging for something under warranty

Hey guys, this post is related to the A/C smell problem that I have in another thread. This summer season I started using the A/C and noticed about the foul smell coming out when turning off the A/C button. I noticed that I've been having allergies this pollen season and it might be related to the car's A/C smell. I called up and told the dealership about this concern and they told me to bring the car in. But they are charging me a diagnostic fee. The car is certified pre-owned, so I should not be paying a cent right?

Old 06-27-2007, 08:56 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: dealership charging for something under warranty

if it's under warranty, they cannot charge for something like that. but if it's the smell that's your problem, it doesn't even need a diagnostics test, those people are retarded. the smell is because your cabin filters need replacing and you need to deodorize the ac vents and system. that's rediculous that they want to charge you for something that stupid.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:56 PM

you should have gotten a paper or something stating what the contract is. Read that in full and see i'm sure they probably have it written in there about diagnostic test.your maybe your warranty is just parts not labor all depends on the contract. they will try to get money out of you if u have the contract and see there not suppouse to charge u for it then start yelling and maybe you'll get free stuff..

Old 06-28-2007, 06:12 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ej6buddy

if it's under warranty, they cannot charge for something like that. but if it's the smell that's your problem, it doesn't even need a diagnostics test, those people are retarded. the smell is because your cabin filters need replacing and you need to deodorize the ac vents and system. that's rediculous that they want to charge you for something that stupid.
How would you go about deoderizing the A/C vents? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:22 AM

i have not got AC, but the car parts shop round the corner from my house has these little cans of stuff, for doing this, im sure theres some instructions on the side of the can, check it out, sorry i cant help with more detail

Old 06-28-2007, 06:38 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Replacing the cabin filter is going to be considered routine maintenance, and not covered under the warranty anyway. Much better to just buy a new filter and the little can and do it yourself.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:20 AM
HCF Member

What are the cans for? If the can is filled with refrigerant, there is no need for it.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:50 PM
gwl
HCF Member

Some extended warranties and the like sometimes charge a small fee. It sort of like a co-pay when you see a doctor.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:07 PM
HCF Member

it's just simple deodorizer they sell at parts places and the stealership. and if it becomes a problem, then they can do it for free, but if it's just maintenance, then they won't replace the filter for you for free.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:52 PM
HCF Member

i already replaced the cabin filter and it still has that smell... should i check any other vents or secondary filters if any? I called up the dealership and talked to the service guy, he said diagnostics would be $90 and if it comes out that the cause is under warranty, then they'll waive the fee. they said it could be a dead mouse in vent but wtf i haven't seen a mice mouse here in NJ, just a lot of squirrels )

Quick Reply: dealership charging for something under warranty