General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Difference between EX and SI

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 05:29 AM
Default Difference between EX and SI

I have a 98 civic EX, what is the difference between my car and a SI? Engine, trans, trim? How many different models of coupe are there? Was there ever a type 'R' Honda? Or just the Integra type 'R'?

Old 08-12-2008, 07:03 AM
HCF Member

i have a data about difference between 2000 civic EX and SI:

the body kit is a little different (the spoiler is bigger than civic ex) and the engine has a different horsepower, Civic Si has 160 hp and Civic Ex has 127 hp.

I'm sorry i can not found 1998 civic ex and si.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:05 AM
HCF Member

i do believe your EX will be running the SOHC d16y8, I have a 97 si which was only out in canada which is basically the EX as is my understanding the si runs the B16 more power and what alot of people like to swap into their civics as a base to build off of, as far as trim i've seen si and ex's with everything the smaller or taller spoiler no spoiler, rims, hub caps i think you still had factory options

Old 08-12-2008, 09:07 AM
HCF Member

in canada, the si is the equivalent to our "ex". in the USA, the "si" was not created until 99-00 and featured a b16 engine, dohc vtec. this was made in canada as the si-r. as previously stated the si (us edition) came with a few upgrades, such as the famous si rims, the engine/trans upgrade, a stiffer suspension, a lip kit, remoteless key entry, different steering wheel, cd player, different seats, si badging, si gauge cluster, and other things such as a/c, pd, pl, etc.

the ek si came in 3 colors, black, blue, and red (except for canda it came in silver as well)

the "ex" has abs, but the si does not.

umm thats all i can come up with off hand... i'm sure there might be some other things

edit:

as for the honda civic type r, yes but it has not made it to the US yet, soon though, soon.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:09 AM
HCF Member

my si has abs, and its green? lol it also has power everything

Old 08-12-2008, 09:28 AM
HCF Member

you already said its a 1997, which means its not an SI from the USA, its a canada SI, which is the USA EX

Old 08-12-2008, 09:29 AM
HCF Member

if you wanted our SI, you would have to go find a 99-00 Si-R, and you could find one of those in one of the four colors i listed above. Silver only available for the Canada "Si-R"

Old 08-12-2008, 09:39 AM
HCF Member

the ek si came in 3 colors, black, blue, and red (except for canda it came in silver as well)

my bad i read that as ex si thinking you were talkin about the 96-98

Old 08-12-2008, 12:19 PM

all of my following answers are referring to USDM 6th generation (EK, 96-00) Civics

Originally Posted by willpoorman
I have a 98 civic EX, what is the difference between my car and a SI? Engine, trans, trim?
EX engine - D16Y8 (SOHC, 127HP)
Si engine - B16A2 (DOHC, 158HP)

copied from Wikipedia:
"Changes from the standard Civic included stiffer, progressive-rate springs, stiffer front and rear anti-roll bars, and a tower brace, which contributed to a flatter-cornering ride. Aesthetic exterior changes from LX/EX models were minimal, with the Si trim featuring 15-inch wheels, a [front lip], side sills, and Si badging. For the interior, the 5th generation Si had tilt adjustment for the bottom cushion, a standard CD player, sunroof, power windows and door locks, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, remote keyless entry, air conditioning, cruise control, and red-faced instrumentation with Si branding."

How many different models of coupe are there?
DX, LX, HX, EX, Si
6th generation Si is only 99-00

Was there ever a type 'R' Honda? Or just the Integra type 'R'?
Not in the U.S.
In Japan and Canada, yes. Although, the Canadian Type R (SiR) is equivalent to our Si, therefore not a "true" Type R. Japan Type R's are the "true" Type R.

copied from Wikipedia:
"There was also a Japanese domestic market only Type R 185 hp (138 kW)/around 8200 rpm. Civic Type-R, that was only available as a Hatchback and 5 speed manual with LSD. This model was equipped with a very powerful B16B (AKA PCT), which is essentially a destroked version of the Integra Type-R B18C Powerplant. Chassis designation was given EK9. The EK9 was very special as it was essentially based on the JDM EK4 SiR but taken out of the production line and given additional reinforcement to the chassis and body shell. Weight was also meticulously removed to create a light weight racecar feel. Other additions over the EK4 were bigger brakes, quicker steering ratio, specially tuned suspension, Recaro seats, Momo steering wheel, titanium shift ****, front lip spoiler, rear wing, smoked headlights and a hand built engine that embodied the racing spirit of Honda. This engine featured a hand ported cylinder head, lighter flywheel, redesigned cam profiles, high compression pistons and balanced crankshaft. The gearbox was fitted with a helical type Limited Slip Differential."

Old 08-13-2008, 04:51 PM
HCF Member

Me being in Canada I have the Canadian Si, I'm wondering if a CAI of SiR would still fit normally? The man i spoke to said I'd have to trim some plastic in my Engine bay, but I'm not to keen on doing that. If it does work i can save myself $250 bucks

Has anyone tried this? Also sorry for jacking the thread.

Last edited by xsteinbachx; 08-13-2008 at 05:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Difference between EX and SI