General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

To do

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:16 AM
HCF Member
Default To do

...feel free to add to it. It always seems that I come up with all my to dos during the cold months, when my uninsulated garage makes it impossible to work comfortably. Aside from all I've got planned for my 4runner, I think the Civic will take up a bunch of time, time I don't have with a 2.5 year old, two dogs, and a gf with MS. I'll likely be working in Madagascar for a few months, more time to add to the list.

Here are the plans for the Civic (1998 Civic DX);
-new poly bushings all around, OEM bushings for the TA
-new shocks and spring isolators all around, thinking GR-2's,
-test/replace my integrated control unit
-replace window regulator/front run channel on driver's side
-refinish my steel wheels so I can take the wheel covers off

Any other ideas? Not looking to do anything wild, just improve upon what's already there.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:36 AM
HCF Member

what are you doing to your wheels?

Old 01-27-2009, 07:38 AM
HCF Member

Just going to prep, repaint the steelies.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:53 AM
HCF Member

A 1998 y8/AT manifold is on it's way to me right now so I'm adding that to the list, after the integrated control unit, and window regulator are taken care of. Got the manifold for 100 CDN/~82 USD.

Should have more time to do stuff in the garage when it warms up since it looks like Madagascar is on the verge of civil war, i.e. I think I'll pass on that project for now

Last edited by mudferret; 01-29-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Well, what exactly do you have in mind with the car? Are you just planning on doing maintenance, or do you want some fun out of the car?

Old 01-29-2009, 02:01 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by reaper2022
Well, what exactly do you have in mind with the car? Are you just planning on doing maintenance, or do you want some fun out of the car?
Mostly leaning toward improving the handling (don't want to lower), maintenance, comfort and adding a little bit of power. Have a y8 intake manifold on it's way to me, likely install that and an intake when/if I have time.

In the end it's a commuter, but I want to enjoy my commute. Had considered buying a new Si, but not having payments kicks ***.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Super Cereal Admin

All right, for handling, maybe some sway bars and front/rear strut tower braces? Also, (if it's a 5spd), maybe a short-throw shifter... they make a world of differences with your shifts. Also, if you swap for a short-throw shifter, get some poly shifter bushings; they help firm up your shifts a lot.

Out of curiosity, why don't you want to lower? You could get Tien H-Techs which lower right around 1"; you wouldn't have rubbing/dragging problems, and you'd still have less body roll and better handling.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:42 PM
HCF Member

As it sits right now it just barely avoids getting high centered when I pull into my garage, it sits higher than the alley so it's a sharp incline pulling in. I agree that a mild drop would be great however. Some good suggestions, I'll have to see how much I can get to when it warms up.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:45 AM
HCF Member

Nice, my Y8 IM arrived today, complete with throttle body, injectors, fuel rail, sensors, and throttle cable bracket. Don't need the injectors or rail as I understand it, but what's left over of the TB and the sensors will be nice spares. No support bracket however.

Pretty pleased for the price.