General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Do I purchase the Additional Warranty ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 05:14 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Do I purchase the Additional Warranty ?

you don't have to buy the additional warranty at the moment of purchase. you can buy one right up to when your original factory warranty runs out.

but honda's have pretty good reliability so may not want to pay for something that you may never use.

as for the dealer rustproofing, stay far away. the manufacturer already provides body rustproofing. the dealer is just trying to increase his profit for reall no benefit to you.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:59 AM

Mine was on the ranger i used to have. $1500 seems like an awful lot for 25,000 additional miles, I think mine was $1000 for the 100,000 mile warranty. We bought one on the civic too, but didn't ever use it. I have one for my Dakota and I haven't used it yet either, but with a 4x4 there is a lot of opportunity for expensive repairs....

Old 05-16-2007, 10:25 AM
HCF Member

if you were buying an 06,07, or 08 model car, i would purchase the extended warranty, even if it's a honda, they have problems with some electronics. we had to take my moms odyssey (06)in for: water pump, power steering pump, cabin whistling, door problem, ac vent smell, and many other minor things. with that list, it will cost you much more than the extended warranty will.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:44 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ej6buddy

if you were buying an 06,07, or 08 model car, i would purchase the extended warranty, even if it's a honda, they have problems with some electronics. we had to take my moms odyssey (06)in for: water pump, power steering pump, cabin whistling, door problem, ac vent smell, and many other minor things. with that list, it will cost you much more than the extended warranty will.
If it is an '06 it is still under warranty. Why do you need the extended warranty for that?

How do you know the '08s have problems? They aren't even out yet.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:25 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Gene J

ORIGINAL: ej6buddy

If it is an '06 it is still under warranty. Why do you need the extended warranty for that?

How do you know the '08s have problems? They aren't even out yet.
well if you want to smart about it,

yes it's still under warrany, and and those problems listed so far are the ones we've ran into so far, just because the original warranty runs out, doesn't mean you won't have any more problems.

and the reason i listed the 08 is not because "i know", but because auto makers usually keep the same body style for 2-4 years and only change minor things in the car. i figure that the 08 model is not going to designed any simpler than previous models, so, when you have more parts and more features, you're going to run into more problems. if it bothered you that much, i should have just left it out for you.

hondas are known for their low matainence, but that DOESN'T make them trouble free products. all cars are going to have problems, some more so than others (in this case, we purchased the "troublesome" van out of the lot). and yes, i'm glad you know the 08's aren't out yet.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:40 PM
HCF Member

My '06 LX has 11,000 miles on it, and the sum total of maintenance on it is two oil changes and a tire rotation. Oh, I also cut a tire with a razor blade that was picked up off the road, but I don't blame Honda for that.

Generally speaking if a new car is going to have problems, they will show up at the beginning. That has been my experience over the last 45 years. Also, the newer cars are much more reliable than the older ones. Try finding a '57 Chevy with 200,000 miles on it.

Instead of putting money into an extended warranty, put that money in the bank and dip into it if you need any repairs. I bet you come out far ahead.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:50 PM
HCF Member

older cars are known for mechanical failures, newer cars are known for defects (such as electronic features, which are costly)

and the van i'm talking about already has about 40,000 miles on it in a year.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:56 AM

I'm just waiting for delivery on my new civic, and was offered a honda extended warranty by the dealer. They want to offer me 7 years/120,000km for $1848. If the warranty is not used, they refund the full amount minus $200 on a Guaranteed Price Reimbursment. $100 deductible to use the warranty, but if I sell the car, the warranty goes with it, my $1848 gone. If I have a problem, am I going to have the repairs done under warranty or spend the cash to not screw up my refund? Of course, during the duration of the warranty, they say the vehicle must be keep up to snuff on all maintenance, done at the dealership... I think I just sold myself not to do it...
B.Waz

Old 05-22-2007, 02:23 PM
HCF Member

Sounds like a wise decision to me. If they did not make money on the extended warranty they would not offer it. Stick that money in the bank where it will earn interest and draw on it if you need repairs.