General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Does Radar really help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 08:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Does Radar really help!!!!

dito.... first time it goes off and you hit the brakes IT PAYS FOR ITSELF!!!!!

they work great for 90% of cops......
tho radar detectors only work WHEN thier radar gun is ON!!!!!!!!!
thier largest stealth techinic is to turn the radar ON when your to close to slow down... BUT not done to often by very many cops......
and of course the lazers are hard to get around... mines only gone off a few times for lazer and i never saw the cop.... not sure if it was real or faulty..........

but as said above... ya need to have a brain as well.LMFAO
for afew reasons....
like your radio turned up to loud and dont hear it going off.LOL i get hit with that ALL THE TIME.LMFAO my bass is just to loud.LOL
and keep an eye out... tho those motorcycle cops are REALY HARD TO SEE and are very sneaky.LOL

luckely everytime i run into them im not speeding! knock on wood..........

Old 12-01-2006, 07:56 PM

ORIGINAL: olv

radar jammers are quite efficient but there not legal as far as i know in any state.
Really? I'm not trying to be a smart a** but do you have any test data to prove that statement? The reason I ask is because every jammer test I've read, and admittedly, it's been a while, said that they didn't work worth a flip. Just wondering!

And you're correct, radar jammers are illegal in all 50 states so don't get caught with one.

As for radar detectors, they can help but they're not 100%. I don't own one but I've got friends that do and personally, I found them to be a total PITA because they were beeping every time we blinked. It was hard to know when to pay attention to it and when it was Ok to ignore it. One thing I do know is, if you do get pulled over and the cop sees the detector, he/she won't cut you any slack "at all!" You might get a warning otherwise. I know, I know, for a lot of us that's not likely but if the cop see's the detector, it'll be an impossibility.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:28 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ive always had my detectors is plan open site..... and been let off pleanty of times!

but like said... dont plan on them to save you from a ticket..LOL

and most the time when your driving along the road if its higher than 2bars its usualy real radar! but one bar could be other radar detectors sometimes..... other automoted sliding doors..... LOL

Old 12-01-2006, 10:09 PM

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass

ive always had my detectors is plan open site..... and been let off pleanty of times!

Well, you're the first person I've ever heard make that claim. Maybe the guys I know are just unlucky!

Old 12-01-2006, 10:43 PM
HCF Member

I dont own one. I know people who have them and say they suck. I havent ever been pulled over (only 5 months of driving though). I speed when I know that I can speed without getting caught. For instance on the interstate, the speed limit is 65 or 70. I usually try to find a pack of about 5-10 cars that all speed up to about 80 or so, and we just convoy the hell out of that interstate!! lol. The drivers here in Missouri are smart like that. I have seen many cops while doing 80 in one of those packs, and not one seemed to care. However I know that im going to be pulled over one of these days so I try not to speed that much.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:24 PM
HCF Member

The better the radar detector you have the better chance you have of not getting caught. I don't have a radar, but when i get one i will get a Valentine V1 b/c it is the best one on the market. And the thing with radars is that the radar will pick up the signal when some1 in front of you gets hit with the radar. The V1 has something like a 4mi range and it tells you which direction the radar originated from so you know where the cop is and have enough time to slow down.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:49 AM

They're not full proof, so I don't bother with them. Like the others said, the cop can have their radar off, and turn it on when you're in sight. And they don't work for lasers. So, easy choice for me. I just either don't speed or speed carefully. I can't afford a ticket.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:18 AM
HCF Member

i mean yea you can't rely on them 100% but i think that it's still nice to have that comfort level of knowing that 95% of the time your going to know when a cop is clocking, i can't tell you how many times my old one has saved me from tickets

Old 12-03-2006, 01:08 AM

ORIGINAL: lintondoza

with detectors, you get what you pay for. http://www.radartest.com rates them and so do most of the major motoring magazines such as Car and Driver. If you want to buy a Cobra, you had might as well put a cardboard box on your dash that says radar detector because it will do the same thing as a 60$ Cobra unit.
I have a Cobra and it works decently...