General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Down Grading

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Default Down Grading

Hi there!
First of all I'd like to welcome myself to the forum. Welcome johnny.

I currently drive an Land Rover Discovery 2 but I'm thinking of trading it in for a civic, probably second hand. I have a few questions;
1) I have heard that FWD does good in the snow, or at least better than RWD, how will it compare to my current DD?
2)Will I be able to take it off road? I live in Montana and I need something that will be able to get me through the winters and over the awful gravel roads around here.
3)Has anybody on here owned and STi? How does the Civic Si compare to that in acceleration and handling?
Thanks in advance
Johnny

Old 01-10-2010, 05:57 PM
HCF Member

just get one, don't ask questions.

1) I have heard that FWD does good in the snow, or at least better than RWD, how will it compare to my current DD?
I've heard the same that FWD does good in the snow. However, imo, pretty sure a stock discovery 2 would handle better than a stock civic. I'm sure you can make necessary upgrades to your civic for a more off roadish vehicle.

2)Will I be able to take it off road? I live in Montana and I need something that will be able to get me through the winters and over the awful gravel roads around here.
Of course anything is possible, you can make whatever mods to your soon to be civic to do whatever you want. And honestly, I'd love for you to see a good build for an off road civic. I'd definitely stay tuned
3)Has anybody on here owned and STi? How does the Civic Si compare to that in acceleration and handling?
unno

sorry I couldn't be more help, I'ma nubie x)

Old 01-10-2010, 06:08 PM

I'm a firm believer "stay stock, stay happy". Honda should have made it more off road capable from the factory, why should I have to "upgrade" it? But if needs are a must I guess I could look into upgrading it to be snow and gravel capable.

Any answers for q3?

Old 01-10-2010, 08:06 PM
HCF Member

Your an obvious troll. Just go somewhere else.
Of course the civic is slower than an STI. its an economy car. No, your not going to off road in a civic, unless you are imbread and want to get stuck and tear your car up. Its a car, not a truck.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:25 PM

? A troll, as in a small creature that prevents goats from crossing bridges? I didn't ask if it was slower I asked how it compared. A friend of mine has an STi (this is why I won't sleep with her :lol: ) and I was curious if they were even remotely in the same league. The Si looks sleek and fast. And by offroad I didn't crawling rocks...I clearly stated that I need to take on snow and gravel.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:00 PM
HCF Member

STi... Pwns the crap out of a civic... Like Punisher said... Economy Vs Rally Car O.o But as for your version of "Off Road" for sure, mines a beast. Never once been stuck in snow, and i have had some BAD tires on it before in the winter.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:40 AM
HCF Member

Just buy a subaru and your all set...

They are better than honda in every way IMO.... or a jeep........ I heard those things are good for ofroading :P

Last edited by NIKE H34D; 01-11-2010 at 05:44 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:25 AM
HCF Member

nike, shut up.

no a Si isn't going to keep up with a sti they are just not in the same league (nor are their prices). yes with snow tires a civic will do great in the snow and on gravel roads i use mine like a 4x4 in the snow, it does better than my friends 4x4 gmc jimmy but if you want a rally car which a sti is you will have to mod a civic an example would be a new suspension and tires. but when buying a civic you won't be paying a sti price which means you can afford to modify it.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:56 AM
HCF Member

You shut up and lighten up, he is a troll.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:04 PM
HCF Member

i am lightened up im just playing around and how do you know he is a troll?

Quick Reply: Down Grading