General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

drifting civics

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 11:49 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: drifting civics

FWD's dont drift, they slide.

BTW, there is some dude that drives an old school hatch that races with the others. There is a video of it somehwere here on the forum. He also was beating everybody else, but he wasnt drifting.

Old 11-30-2005, 04:06 PM
HCF Member

lol fwd cars don't drift! they slide! (but don't forget, it still counts as drifting on Need for Speed underground, b/c I out-drifted a skyline in my celica!)

Old 12-02-2005, 11:26 AM

I've always understood that drifting IS sliding - you can just keep the drift going longer if your rear wheels are being spun and therefore have no traction. The only thing rwd cars can do that fronts cant is power oversteer.

Old 12-02-2005, 11:35 AM

To execute a "drift" that most people think of, you basically clutch in, downshift, hold your engine revs at a relatively high point, then whip away from and back into a corner (to get the car's momentum going out) while releasing the clutch. This will break traction in the rear wheels, after which you power through the corner while overcorrecting on the steering and setting up for the next corner.

Technically, you can start a drift with your e-brake, then power through the corner with the *** hanging out, but you have a much harder time setting up the next corner or sequence with a dead rear end.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:18 PM
HCF Member

i know that this thread is really old, but i really want to add a comment.

true, that is how most people associate HOW to drift, but drifting is more defined as the rear wheels traveling a wider radius than the front wheels over a corner. in other words, with enough momentum, i can and have performed a drift in my civic. even though it was in rain, by using full braking force, no ebrake, to force me into a slide while slightling turning the car to initiate a movement similar to a spinout, i can instantly countersteer and use my front wheels to pull and control the car through a corner, while the rear is still hanging out.

true, i have only accomplished this perfectly through a corner about ten times, all in the rain, i would just like to point out that it is possible, just a lot harder than it would be with a rear wheel drive car.

but then again, most of you here will probably just define this as sliding, but to me, it fits perfectly into the definition of drifting

and it is how most rally racers drive in gravel and such, isn't it

Old 08-06-2007, 03:13 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Rally cars are all wheel drive and can drift efficiently

fwd drift = *** sliding

Old 08-06-2007, 08:52 AM
HCF Member

argh... **** Tokyo Drift. argh!!!

Old 08-06-2007, 02:01 PM

there is that EF hatch that drifts, E-Brake style

Old 08-06-2007, 03:08 PM
HCF Member

CIVIC'S DON'T ****ING DRIFT! THEY SLIDE!

Old 08-06-2007, 10:43 PM
HCF Member

i was a fan of drifting way before that ****in movie came out, so don't bring that on me.

but yeah, i knew you guys were going to say that, it's okay, it's just my opinion that it does fit into the the definition of drift, that's all. but my real point is, most of you guys say that rwd drift faster, but isn't that only on lower speed power over drifts. when using momentum and inertia at much higher speeds, i believe that the two cars pretty much drive the same

it's kinda like how drifting originated, people didn't intentionally let their *** hang out, it was a result of high speeds and a shift in weight during heavy braking, forcing the car to slide one side. and when the slide is controlled, it is a drift.

correct me if i'm wrong please

Quick Reply: drifting civics