General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

dual alternators

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 04:56 PM
Default dual alternators

ok guys i have a 95 civic 4 door. i have a 135 amp after market alternator.. i need to know where i can find a bracket that will allow me to run dual alternators. ive been checking for some time now and havent come up with anything.. im running about 7200 watts RMS of power through my sound system.. i have all upgraded wires and all but i need more power from my alternator. i have a 1500amp battery under the hood and 2 1900amp batteries in the trunk.. i need to keep these batteries as full as possible and i think my 135 amp alt just isnt cutting it.. ive seen alternators for my civic that are 160 amps but i still think that wont be enough.. let me know what you guys think..

Old 04-09-2007, 06:12 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: dual alternators

I make a living doing speaker reconing for pro sound. You have 7200 watts possible, not actually using 7200 watts. 7200 watts at what impedence? Even using two 135 amp alts will only give you 3200 watts of replenishment. I have done outdoor concerts for crowds of 5000 people that did not come anywhere near needing 7200 watts. The only reason you need that much power is for bragging rights.

Let me know when you need a quote to repair those speakers.

Note: 1 Amp @ 12 volts = 12 watts

Old 04-09-2007, 07:27 PM
HCF Member

just buy a honda portable generator -- it will be cheaper

7200 watts ? [sm=signs003.gif]

Old 04-09-2007, 08:19 PM

well you tell me how much wattage ive got.. i have 2 of the boss blx5000's and they are rated at 1800 watts x 2 at 1 ohm. i have it hooked up so that each channel is hooked up into 2 subs for 900 watts per sub.. so each amp is putting out 900 watts to each of my 4 subs. ive got 8 audiobahn AW1006T's. 4 in the trunk and 4 in my back seat. so wouldnt it be 900 watts, 8 subwoofers = 7200 watts RMS..

Old 04-09-2007, 10:34 PM
HCF Member

Boss Audio BLX5000:
1800 watts RMS per channel into 1 ohm
1200 watts RMS per channel into 2 ohm
700 watts RMS per channel into 4 ohm

Audiobahn AW1006T 10" Sub: 2) 4 ohm voice coils per speaker.

How are the speakers hooked up? voice coils series or parallel? Are the two subs on each channel hooked up series or parallel? Is the phase hooked up properly?

Per channel:
If the voice coils are hooked up in parallel and the two speakers in series, you would have: 4 ohms or 350 watts per speaker.
If the voice coils are hooked up in series and the two speakers in parallel, you would have: 4 ohms or 350 watts per speaker.
If the voice coils are hooked up in parallel and the two speakers in parallel, you would have: 1 ohm. The amp is not made to run into 1 ohm despite what the specs say. Not all specs are created equal. They fail to say how many mili-seconds it will deliver this power and at what distortion level.

Example: I have a JBL 130A speaker from 1950 that is rated at 30 watts. The "updated" E-130 version from the 90's is rated at 400 watts. Same cone, same voice coil. The only difference is the rating. When one manufacturer makes an outrageous claim, the other manufacturers have no choice but to follow suit if they want to sell their product. Unfortunately car audio manufacturers are among the worst offenders.

If you let me know more about your setup I can give more accurate info.

Gene........

Old 04-10-2007, 05:35 PM

i beleive i have each one of my amps hooked up so they are running at 1800 watts x 2 at 1 ohm. so ive got 2 subs hooked up to each other for the right channel and another 2 subs hooked up to each other for the left channel. ive got that setup in my trunk and then hooked up exactly like that in the back seat. i beleive you are thinking that im trying to run my amp into 4 channels.. im not.. its 1800 watts to 2 subs for the left, and then 1800 watts to 2 subs for the right. so each sub is technically receiving 900 watts rms.. right??? i may be wrong but i know my subs are hitting at way more that 350 watts a speaker like you said it would be. i mean, there fricken loud. let me know what other info you need about my system. jexon

Old 04-10-2007, 07:02 PM
HCF Member

Each speaker has two 4 ohm voice coils. How are they hooked up, parallel or series? How are the two speakers per channel hooked up, parallel or series? Did you pay attention to getting the phase correct for all 4 channels?

You say they are hooked up together, but how? There are several ways to accomplish this and each will have a different outcome, some better than others. If you don't understand my questions then I need to refer you to a tutorial.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:35 PM
HCF Member

Here is a good tutorial for anyone that wants to understand car audio wiring. It covers Dual Voice Coils quite well.

http://www.lalena.com/Audio/FAQ/Wiring/

Old 04-15-2007, 11:35 AM

ive got the positive hooked up to the one voice coil on sub 1. then it goes to the second coil on sub 1. then it goes to the positive on sub 2. then to the other coil on sub 2. then ive got the negative hooked up to the one voice coil on sub 1 and then hooked up to the second coil on sub 1 and then to the coil on sub 2 and then to the other coil on sub 2. ive got that setup hooked up for the right and left channel of the amp. i dont know exactly what name to call that hook up but thats how ive got it done.. so do you guys think that its okay that i have a 135 amp alternator hooked up to a 1500 amp battery and 2 1900 amp batteries.. the batteries that i have are the brand name kenitik.. they are nice and small ( compared to the size of a regular battery that puts out half the amps ) and are dry cell so i cant spill acid all over the place if something were to go wrong. i was thinking about getting a second alternator that would add another 135 amps to my batteries... the only bigger alternator that ive seen that would fit a 95 civic put out 165 amps.. do you think i should get that ove or try to hook up a second one..

Old 04-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i dont think your gonna fit a second alternator in the civic UNLESS your car doesnt have AC OR ya dont care about AC and pull off that compressor until and custom fab up some of your own brackets to fit the alternator... but thats straight custom work thier... so youll have to fab up your own...
get the largest alternator ya can and go for the best if its that important to ya....

just buy a voltage display and keep an eye on it.... BUT pushen that much power daily... is gonna be killen ya electrical system... if ya bump it full tilt the whole time of course..

Quick Reply: dual alternators