General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Eclipse??

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 09:41 AM
HCF Member
Default Eclipse??

So theres a '97 Mistubishi Eclipse for sale up here. 43K miles on it, manual, i dont see any mods done to it, and they're asking $6,000 for it. I think i got my Civ for $4,500, so i know i can make the payments. I want to get another import, and this is a cheap one with low miles. Should i go for it? Is it reliable? Hows the power and the aftermarket support?

I'd totally miss the Civ and still be an active part of this forum, and honestly parting with the Civ is the only thing right now holding me back from getting this thing.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:04 AM
Default RE: Eclipse??

I used to have a 97 eclipse GST
Gawd... what a car.

The only problem that I ever had with the car were the brakes - but that was partially due to improper winter storage (rust). Oh, and theOBD plug problems (Any time my battery was removed - the OBD would never set itself)

The worst problem they were known for was crankcase issues... you might want to look into that.

Oh, lots of aftermarket parts for it.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:09 AM
HCF Member

DSM = Deny Stupid Manuver... so don't do it if you are gonna get rid of the Civic at least get another car that is reliable. Like a Teg or a Impreza

Old 03-27-2007, 10:55 AM
HCF Member

yea i'd definately get rid of the Civ, i dont have enough money to make monthly payments on both

Old 03-27-2007, 10:58 AM
HCF Member

hey flip, DSMs have had HORRIBLE quality control issues and their dealer service is just as bad in many cases.

my friend is about to get rid of his eclipse GST for a civic si. he used to curse and scream at the local mitsubishi stealership who jerked him around on everything.

do some research on the model car you're thinking about, as far as trouble spots before signing the check.

that said, I got my 98 integra for $7 grand and some change. lol.

actually, if i were in your shoes, i'd look for an EG hatch and a GSR motor combo. that's what I was looking for before I found my integra last summer.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:21 AM
HCF Member

your teg is for sale?

Old 03-27-2007, 11:25 AM
HCF Member

I actually really like Eclipses. If I couldnt' have a Civic, I would probably get one, but... I can have a Civic so I have a Civic. No way that Eclipses have the aftermarket support of Honda. Parts availability and prices because of the interchangeability of Honda/Acura is what makes them so popular. Think about insurance too. It will probably double with a "sports car" like an Eclipse.

Are you sick of the Civic or what? Or do you just like the Eclipses? Why don't you just go turbo? Or dual cam?

Old 03-27-2007, 11:30 AM
HCF Member

no way im sick of the Civic, just kind of want a change. Its a low mileage import, which is what i'm lookin for. My cars a coupe and is already considered a "sports car" by the insurance company, so idk if the insurance will change that much. Theres nothing wrong with the Civic, i just kind of want something new.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:58 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

your teg is for sale?
no. i meant that i bought a GREAT car for just a little more than the eclipse you listed.

you can always find deals on any type of car out there. you just have to be willing to search.

i searched for three months before I found my car on autotrader.com.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:25 PM
HCF Member

misunderstood you man.....

so overall, do you gusy think its a good deal?

Quick Reply: Eclipse??