General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

EF in winter, heat help

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Default EF in winter, heat help

Well for all of you who live up north like me, and consistantly get -10 to -30 in the winter, you can pipe in! I have a 90 ef hatch d15. I havent owned honda before this beast, but i do lots of work on my own cars. I love this little thing, its awesome in summer, and easy to fix.
The problem is that it takes forever to heat up! I have read several threads on this, and people come to the conclusion that these engines have such efficient cooling that they dont heat quickly..... I am skeptical. Is there anything i can do to help it warm up faster? It takes at least 20 minutes to get up to full temp if not more, if i'm driving in -20. I just popped in a 192f thermostat, it didnt do much, just helped cabin heat once it was already up to temp. I have packed the space infront of the rad full of cardboard, which helps a little. Other than having a block heater/oil pan heater, what can i do!?

Old 12-07-2008, 04:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member

that sounds like youve got it covered the best you can.....
higher temp thermostat and covering up most of the radiator...

the only other way to get heater faster is to get a remote starter system or jump in your car to start and let it warm up while your still inside your house.... or maybe one of those ceramic heaters that plugs into your cig lighter.... or the higher power ones that wire up to the battery....
search ebay for "12v heater" tho ive never used any of them..... i just got a remote starter system and i start my car up ruffly 10mins before i leave on those cold mornings.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:28 PM

Ya i was guessing they are just cool engines, if that engine bay was packed a bit tighter maybe it would heat up a bit faster.... thanks for the input

Old 12-10-2008, 12:41 PM

You could also try getting seat warmers (the electric pads that you can install inside the cushion). That should help a lot and get you warm really fast even though the heater isn't hot yet.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:07 PM

ya good call, i might as well just get some accessories. I have some laying around, but havent put them in incase there was a solution to engine warm up time.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:08 PM

Oh you already have seat warmers, just not installed?

Old 12-10-2008, 01:15 PM

No i dont have the seat warmers, but i have the block heater, oil pan heater, and in car heater... the oil pan, and in car heater are just from other cars i've had, but the block i just got from a junk yard... the seat heaters is a nice thought too, ill look around.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Recognized HCF Member

o well the oil heater is only helpfull if your car turns over really slow with the oil being cold and thick.... it wont heat up the car any faster!

Old 12-10-2008, 02:36 PM

In my experience they do a comperable job to the block heater. I like them better because they allow it to turn over faster in regular winter temps, and i'm sure it supplies oil to the heads/ the whole engine much faster in -20, -30 ish.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:18 PM

if you already have the oil warmer and it's cold where you live you might as well put it on either way.

Quick Reply: EF in winter, heat help