General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Electronic speed limiter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 05:08 AM
Default Electronic speed limiter?

I recently bought a 2007 Civic Si. In doing research on the Si prior to buying, it was mentioned in one road test that the Si is electronically limited to 114 mph.

Is this true? Can the speed limitation be eliminated without affecting the warranty?

And finally... without a top end limiter, does anyone know what the potential top speed of a Civic Si is?

Thanks,
Mike P.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:06 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Electronic speed limiter?

Nope cannot be removed with out effecting warranty need to chip ecu

Old 10-15-2007, 11:10 AM

Why would you ever need to go that fast anyway?

Old 10-15-2007, 04:14 PM

LOL. Good point Everyday Getaway. I have never been... and never intend to be... going that fast. But, I was curious... and a part of me thinks that limiting such a well-done machine is sort of... well... limiting. Kind of like an insult to the machin. Can't really explain it. Why would one want the potential to go that fast, yet not do it? Got me. But then, why do people by Ferraris, Ford GTs, and Corvettes?

(The only time I ever saw 100 mph was as a passenger at 15 with my 17 year-old neighbor behind the wheel of a push button automatic 390 cu. in. Mercury. Ah. The ignorance of youth.)

Mike

Old 10-15-2007, 07:08 PM
HCF Member

I own a Civic Si 2000.....Man those things fly . The most I top my car was 115 mph but I didn't go faster because my girl friend got scared...GIRLS!!![:'(]!. I know I can go more higher because my friend also owns a Civic Si 00 but he has a red one.. He said he got his over 130 mph mark.. As what I know my car don't have no RESTRICTIONS at all.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:39 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Everyday Getaway

Why would you ever need to go that fast anyway?
Sheerly because you can. I made it up to Denver from Colorado Springs in 25 minutes one time... its supposed to bea45 minute drive... this was in my old 93 Accord too. =) Igot it to over 130mph, which is where the speedometer stops... it screwed up my speedometer, itrandomly died til the dayI sold it.

My Civic I've only gotten up to 120mph, and I thought I was going 110. My speedometer is about 6mph off, I had a GPS on and my max speed was quite a bit faster than I know I went... kinda sucks, now that I know my speedometer is 6mph off, I automatically go 6 over, so when I'm driving someone else's car I speed without noticing it. Bah.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:03 AM

Hmm. So the question concerning whether or not there actually is a speed limiter is open. It appears that some don't have a limiter. My information was based on a Road & Track comparison road test. I think it was of the 2007 Si.

Can anyone shed any further light on this? Does the speed limiter exist? Does it only exist for certain years?

Thanks.

Mike

Old 10-16-2007, 10:38 AM

i once hit 105 and my engine blew up with only 10k miles on it

Old 10-16-2007, 11:23 AM

Well that sounds like a good reason not to hit 100. But, seriously, the engine should have tolerated that without problem. The question may be, what gear where you in and what were the RPMs?

Old 10-16-2007, 11:38 AM

ORIGINAL: ruhdwulf

Well that sounds like a good reason not to hit 100. But, seriously, the engine should have tolerated that without problem. The question may be, what gear where you in and what were the RPMs?

i was in 5th and i honestly cant remember what the rpms were

Quick Reply: Electronic speed limiter?