General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Electronic speed limiter Why make odometer go to 150 when car cant?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 11:19 PM
HCF Member
Default Electronic speed limiter Why make odometer go to 150 when car cant?

I was reading my manual a while ago and it said the civic(2001 ex) was limited to 112 mph but the odometer says 150.

Why not just put 112 on the thing? I heard of another story of this with a grand am car that after you got to 115 or 119 it would start to cut back and such.

Is there any way to get rid of the limiter if you wanted to race?

Is it because at 150mph the rpms would be to high or?

Old 10-28-2006, 11:44 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Electronic speed limiter Why make odometer go to 150 when car cant?

why make the tach go up to 8K RPM when you stop making power past 6800rpm... why allow the needle of the fule gage go above the Full line when the tank is full..

and going 150mph in a Civic is not nessisary... hell going 150mph is not nessisairy at all even if you were racing... you would have to have one hell of a long straight to go that fast and stop from that speed

Old 10-28-2006, 11:52 PM

Cuz teh NOZ dude burN foolz on teh street!

But they really put in a limiter that wont let you go faster than a certain speed, no matter what? i thought it went as fast as the speedomter went up to.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:54 PM
HCF Member

Actually, I saw odometer saying 150 probably just a couple of times in my life. Pretty soon it started to show 151, 152, 153.... and no all my odometers are showing insane numbers like 130000, 30000, 15000. I'm pretty much sure my cars cannopt go that fast. THIS IS WRONG AND SHOULD BE CORRECTED!!![sm=chairshot.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 10-28-2006, 11:58 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Proto05

But they really put in a limiter that wont let you go faster than a certain speed, no matter what? i thought it went as fast as the speedomter went up to.
Go outside and look up the speed rating on your tires.

Old 10-29-2006, 12:50 AM

ORIGINAL: mxs

ORIGINAL: Proto05

Go outside and look up the speed rating on your tires.
EXACTLY... they'd have to put Z-rated tires on it... stock... to be able to allow it to go that fast. Civics weren't made to go that fast... That's why there's a limiter..

Old 10-29-2006, 08:34 AM
Recognized HCF Member

o ya on the tires!!!!!!!

but most speed limiters can be reprogramed.............
my truck used to cut off at about 98mph...
i had a custom chip made for it for alittle more performance and to delete the speed limiter... and soon after i needled out my trucks speedo
tho my gauge only went to 100mph.

BUT going this fast is realy truly unnecessary!!!!!!!!!
i only went that fast just for the heck of it... and it was a sunday morning realy early so interstate traffic was little if any!!!! and i only went that fast to see if it would truly kick out or not... and it never did.

i just liked the computer hot chip due to its slightly beter tuning for alittle beter gas milage and alittle more power.

Old 10-29-2006, 11:16 PM
HCF Member

Well I wont ever be going that fast. I just cant figure why they would make it say 150 when the car wont be able to go that fast.

Usually in racing its more about the(drag racing) the takeoff and continual build up speed power than top end.

Well I saw a old honda dx(1985?) and its ometer said 125 as most cars. We laughed at the thought of that super tiny hatchback going 125.

Old 10-29-2006, 11:22 PM
HCF Member

Kid, if you did not get it yet, this thing with funny numbers is called s-p-e-e-d-o-m-e-t-e-r.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:39 AM

some cars have active speed limiting, others have passive...

i believe the honda's is passive?

i know my old dodge was active... fuel pump would cycle on and off to slow you down

Quick Reply: Electronic speed limiter Why make odometer go to 150 when car cant?