General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

End of the month, got a ticket for speeding.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:02 PM
HCF Member
Default End of the month, got a ticket for speeding.

I was pulled over today for going "44 in a 35." the officer said i was in a construction zone, and that i was going 44, but i was acutally out of the construction zone, which had a speed limit of 40. what should i do?

Old 07-31-2007, 12:13 PM
Administrator
Default RE: End of the month, got a ticket for speeding.

you should tell him that you drive a civic and to define "speeding"!

i kid i kid

haha just fight it, show up in court and plead your case, most of the time the m f'er doesnt even show.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:17 PM
HCF Member

Yeah i would fight the ticket and hope for the best, just plead your case and they should atleast reduce the ticket.

I just got a seatbelt ticket the other night for 90 bucks but since i cant read a damn thing on the ticket im going to fight it an i will probably win since the ticket is totally unreadable.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:19 PM

You could talk to a lawyer.. not neccesarily hire one, but just talk to one see one kind of advice he could give you. Ask around see if any of your friends or family know one, or have hired one before. They're more willing to talk to friends and former clients.

Other than that I couldn't really tell ya, courts tend to side with cops when it comes to traffic violations. It's crappy because there's been a few times I've wanted to fight a few tickets for retarded crap like that before, but ended up just saying screw it. It's usualy a long boring process and if you get a lawyer it can sometimes cost you more than the ticket would have. Granted, if you won the ticket would be dismissed, but with speeding tickets you can just take court supervision and not have it go on your record anyway.

44 in a 35 wouldnt even be an expensive ticket, but the construction zone thing changs a lot. I know you can get charged like 500 bucks here for speeding in a construction zone. I'd say talk to a lawyer and try to fight it, tho it might be futile because if the work zone speed limit was 40 and you were clocked at 44 you were technically still speeding.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:51 PM
HCF Member

my ticket's violation code is 22350 VC "speeding *construction zone.*

anyone know the procedures that i have to take to fight the ticket?

Old 07-31-2007, 01:13 PM
HCF Member

You can call the courthouse, the number is on the back of ticket, and postpone the court date...this increases the chances the officer wont be there when you go to contest the citation.
I got a HOV lane violation, changed the date, cop didnt show and case is dismissed!!

Old 07-31-2007, 01:14 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Show up in court; you have nothing to lose. If possible, go to another session of court to see how it works. If the cop really doesn't show you just ask for dismissal and you win automatically. If they do try to prosecute it, an informal approach to defense works best with most judges. Tell the judge what you said in your post, that you weren't clocked in the construction zone, the speed limit was actually 40, etc. Best to never admit that you were going over 40, even if you were aware of that. Also if your driving record is clean, get a copy of it to show to the judge.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:35 PM
HCF Member

how exactly do you posepone a court date? i know you call the number on the back, but how long can you posepone it for? i'm gonna try to put it off as long as possible, and after that, just hope the officer doesn't show up in court.

here's some random things i thought of that might help me.
- it was about 12 pm. everyone was out to lunch, no construction workers
- i was not speeding IN the construction area; i sped up coming out of it.
- the area outside the construciton area was 40, not 35 (i was "caught going 44")
- i had passangers that can attest i was not going 44; i was actually going 40, 41 tops.
- i've had no bad driving history
- i had all the paperwork on me
- i live in california where the speed limit is actually 5 above posted

what's the typical price for this ticket? (SMALL city in california)

Old 07-31-2007, 02:14 PM
HCF Member

also, how long is it before the insurance company knows of my ticket? and can i find out how much i have to pay by calling the phone number on the ticket?

Old 07-31-2007, 04:59 PM
Super Cereal Admin

you should recieve a letter in the mail from the township... it'll have information about the ticket (price and everything) and it'll have a thing that you mail back saying whether or not you wish to contest the ticket and all that good stuff (if you don't decide to fight the ticket, you're supposed to mail them a check). Well, at least that's the way it works in my town (I got a careless driving ticket for doing donuts last winter... I think they were well worth the $114 fine lol)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: End of the month, got a ticket for speeding.