General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.
View Poll Results: A poll
H22a
35.71%
B18c
50.00%
B16a (LSD)
14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

which engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Super Cereal Admin
Default which engine?

Well, as some of you may have seen, I'm about 97% sure (after all my recent mind-changing, I know better than to say 100% lol) I'm keeping my EG and swapping motors. I've narrowed it down to three motors so far:

1) H22a (non-lsd) - I've done research on h22 swaps for about two years. Honestly, I think swapping them is more trouble than it's worth (especially since my car is an automatic.. I'll have to bend some of the frame out of the way for an h22 to fit). Then again, 200hp and 160ft/lbs of torque is tempting. There are two things that I don't like about this swap. One, the price... $4k at least by the time the engine is in my car. That means I'll have a stock h22 for a while if I swap it. The second thing is the time it'll take to swap. I think I could manage a b-series swap with the help of a few friends in a weekend. I'm not so confident with an h22 swap. Since my civic is a DD, I'd prefer to be able to wrap things up by monday morning.

2) B18c (non-lsd) - This is one of my top two choices. 180hp stock isn't too bad, and it is a B, so it won't be too hard to swap. Unfortunately, the price isn't much better than an h22 ($3500+ for the engine once it's shipped), meaning I won't have much money for mods.

3) B16a (lsd) - This is the other of my top two choices. A little less power than a b18, but $750 less? Sounds good to me. I figure $3k to get it into my car, meaning I have some extra money to spend on mods (i/h/e, maybe cams). I'll eventually (not maybe... I definitely will) be boosting the b16 if I get one. Also, I'm completely confident that my friends and I can do a b16 swap in a weekend without working too hard.

Now, remember... I'm not looking to have the most powerful civic around... I just want something fun to drive around (so wouldn't the b16's short gearing be best?). And price is a bit of an issue (which is the reason I won't be able to afford the lsd trans. on the h22 or b18.. you might think it's "only" another $300... but an extra $300 makes a pretty good difference when you're talking about a $4k swap). Honestly, I'm leaning towards the b16. I'm just worried I'll regret not getting a bigger engine later on down the road. Though if I get the b16, a turbo project is definitely in my near-future plans.

(oh, and can an admin explain why we can't make polls in any other section? I've always wondered....)

Old 02-11-2008, 02:42 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: which engine?

you can't make polls in other locations cause you touch yourself at night...

if you're not looking for the quickest car, save your money and get the B16, other then that i would have said the B18,

Old 02-11-2008, 02:44 PM

h22...i've driven my friends h22 hatch andits pretty damn quick, fun to drive fo sho. it could prolly be done in a weekend, just need to have a good plan and have everything ready. backup plans would also be nice lol.

Super Cereal Admin

ORIGINAL: Fiirkan

you can't make polls in other locations cause you touch yourself at night...
well that seemed unnecessary

thanks for movin it

Snail'n Admin

Meh, id go with either the b18 or the h22. First off...I like the b18c gearing. My friend has a gsr and i love driving it. Also, if youve ever talked to aryiman who has a swapped b16...he regrets ever doing it. Word on the street is that they are just like a d in the lower rpm range and not a TON of fun to drive. Id rather pay the extra 750 and get a b18 myself
*Edit* You may be able to reduce the price a tiny bit if you do the h2b setup. the b series trannys seem to be abundant. Not sure how much the adapter costs though

Old 02-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Honestly, after all the research I've done, I'm kind of leaning away from the h22 , due in part because of the price, and also just the amount of work required. I'm still leaving it as a possibility, but like I said, I'm leaning away from it.

I can't decide between the b16 and b18. I know I'd probably be happier with the b18's power, but $750 is a lot ($1,050 if I get the lsd... and with winters around here, I think an lsd would be nice). Also, I wouldn't be able to go turbo as soon with the b18 (because of the upfront swap cost). Like I said, the b16 and b18 are my top 2 choices.

(I have nothing against h-swaps. I've wanted to do one for the last two years. It's just with this being my first swap (and my friends' first swaps), I'm not sure we could do it without f**king up pretty bad)

*edit: I wouldn't really want to go with an h2b... that'd mean either peicing a swap together (I might be able to get it done by July lol), or buying an h22 swap, selling the transmission, and buying a gsr transmission. Not to mention you have to do the hood spacing thing at the rear of your hood becuase it won't fit otherwise. I'm not particularly fond of how that looks.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:15 PM
HCF Member

H2B all the way

Old 02-11-2008, 03:36 PM
HCF Member

get the b16 with the b18c lsd tranny

Old 02-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Okay, so the GSR is looking a little more likely. I figured with its high cost, my mom would flip out (especially since the engine swap will cost more than my car is worth lol). I just talked to her about it, and she seems fine with the price. So I think I'll be able to go with a b18c w/lsd. Hopefully, I'll be able to decide for sure and order the engine in the next week or two.

And is it sad that my z6 is sold(ish) before it's even out of the car? My friend with a crx is looking for a z6, and I just got off the phone with him. He's definitely going to buy it. Now I just need to decide how much it's worth lol

Old 02-11-2008, 04:10 PM
HCF Member

everyone already has a b18 in a civic. do h2b in a civic, i don't see those very often. or just the h22.

Quick Reply: which engine?