General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Engine Compartment Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Default Engine Compartment Question

Hi,

This is my first post ever at this Forum.

I purchased a 2008 Civic EX-L with navigation about three weeks ago. Here at Ohio, we've been having rain and snow for the past few weeks. Last week, when I opened the hood for the first time to add some window washer to my car, I noticed the entire engine compartment was full of white water stain (as well as snow stain). Stain can be found on engine cover, battery etc.. Just about everywhere in the compartment. In short, it was very "dirty" for a new car. Since this is my first Honda Civic, I would like to know if this is normal or not. (My previous car did not have this problem. Engine compartment was dusty after a year or two, but never rain stain, but then again, I was driving in California in the past) Has anyone else experienced the same issue? By the way, I took the car to the dealer last week, and was told that the engine compartment is not "water-proofed" and that some rain or snow will come in from the front when driving a high speed.

Experience Civic owners, please advise.

Thank you.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:23 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Engine Compartment Question

I live in Texas where it never snows and hardly rains and I have the same problem with my 05 EX. I think it's just water splashing up onto the underside of the hood and driping back down onto the engine bay. I'm in no way an expert on this, but it's the only thing that makes sense to me. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:31 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Engine Compartment Question

Any engine bay willget dirty, espeically when driving in rain and/or winter- they're not sealed from the outside to allow air (and unfortunately water and road debris) to enter and cool engine components.Dirty water wapor even gets sucked into the engine bay through the radiator grille, so there's not much you can do.

If a dirty engine bay bothers you will have to clean it- that's life. The stains will come out if you use engine cleaner (available at any auto parts store). Using a steam cleaner (avoid ignition and electrical components) also helps.

Geno

Old 12-22-2016, 01:35 PM

Large amounts of water are NOT supposed to blow into the engine compartment. It seems that this is a design flaw of the Civics. I'm experimenting with weatherstripping the hood underside or the top of the grill.