General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Default Engine noise

Well this is my first car. Its a 2003 Honda civic Ex coupe with 97,000 miles on it. Just got it from a honda dealer. But there is something i am beggining to notice and I dont like it. The engine "roars" a bit too much. It has an automatic transmission but specially when its in the first and second gears it makes a roaring noise which I feel is more than normal. Is it because it gets too cold here in Minneapolis? But I have tried heating up the engine before I drive. Doesn't make much of a difference. Or could it be the timing belt? the car has driven too many miles in a short period of time. the dealer told me that it should be replaced after 105K. Or could something else be wrong with it. Do any of you have any ideas. Also I read somewhere that the civic engine is generally a bit noisy. but dont know how noisy is ok. is there any thing that I can check at home? the car is still in warranty period (30 days warranty by the dealer). PLease help!!

Old 12-08-2006, 07:13 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: Engine noise

If it's under warranty won't they do a free inspection? Just tell them that you're very concerned about the issue, and maybe you can get a tech to go for a ride with you so that they can tell if anything is wrong. It's really hard to diagnose a problem over the internet going by sound descriptions...sorry I couldnt be of more help

Old 12-08-2006, 09:03 AM
HCF Member

if you could also capture some of the sounds of the car and post them here that might also help. And also maybe see if it has a custom intake system, after all its a used car and someone might have put one in

Old 12-08-2006, 11:11 AM
Recognized HCF Member

did you ever do a carfax report on it.

Old 12-08-2006, 05:19 PM

yeah I did a carfax and it was totally clean. single owner. and all services (30K...90K) had been done at the dealer where I bought it from. I know if I take it to the dealer they would try to convince me that everything is all right. How much should it cost if I take it to a firestone to get a check up?

Old 12-08-2006, 05:21 PM

ORIGINAL: B!@ckBoYwiTaC!v!c

if you could also capture some of the sounds of the car and post them here that might also help. And also maybe see if it has a custom intake system, after all its a used car and someone might have put one in
how do I check if it has a custom intake system?

Old 12-09-2006, 01:42 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: avismith1

ORIGINAL: B!@ckBoYwiTaC!v!c

how do I check if it has a custom intake system?

does it have one of these http://www.innerauto.com/AEM_Brand/AEM_Civic_Intake/